Significantly lower internet speeds on one laptop than the other

Hey,

So I’ve got my own private laptop, and I’ve got a laptop from my work. I’ve recently upgraded my internet subscription and have now got a 100mbps for download speed. On my work laptop, when checking speedtest.net I easily get 65mbps as download speed. On my private laptop, I only get about 15 to 25mbps. First I thought it was because of Manjaro, but it has a dual boot setup, so also checked in Windows, where I get similar speeds. On my phone I get about 40mps, on my Raspberry about 15mbps. Now I’m not really thrown off my by Raspberry, but I would like to have higher speeds on my private laptop.

Does anybody know what might cause these slower speeds? My private laptop is a Xiaomi Mi Notebook Air 13.3 (2016), if that gives any information that might help.

Without further technical details, I’d say your work laptop comes with an 802.11AC and your private laptop with an 802.11N WiFi card (or worse: an 802.11G…)

If you want to have a more in-depth analysis instead of a guesstimate, please read this:

and post some more information so we can see what’s really going on. Now we know the symptom of the disease, but we need some more probing to know where the origin lies…

An inxi --admin --verbosity=7 --filter --no-host --width would be the minimum required information… (Personally Identifiable Information like serial numbers and MAC addresses will be filtered out by the above command)

:+1:

P.S. If you enter a bit more details in your profile, we can also see which Desktop Environment you’re using, which CPU/GPU you have, …