Signal worthy to include into the Repos?

Hi, I would like to request Signal to be included into the official repos. I believe at this point, it's popular enough and anyone who wants to send secure messages will (or should) have a Signal account.

There is an AUR package available but obviously, its not the same as a prebuild repo package:
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/signal-desktop-bin

Also, the Telegram Desktop version is also already available in the repos so why not include Signal too?

1 Like

Just checked the license on the signal desktop application. It’s GPLv3 so there’s no reason it can’t be in the repos, other than someone will need to maintain it :wink:

2 Likes

Signal

Zusammenfassung

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.thoughtcrime.securesms&referrer=utm_source%3DOWS%26utm_medium%3DWeb%26utm_campaign%3DNav

650 Castro Street, Suite 120-414, Mountain View, California 94041-2055

= WhatsApp ?

Eine andere Adresse findet man dagegen bei den Jobanzeigen zu WhatsApp, hier wird erneut ein völlig anderer Ort angegeben: 650 Castro St #120, Mountain View, CA 94043, USA. Jens Blecker hat herausgefunden, dass diese Adresse ebenfalls zu WhatsApp gehört:

Registry Admin ID:
    Admin Name: Domain Administrator
    Admin Organization: WhatsApp, Inc
    Admin Street: 650 Castro Street, Suite 120-219
    Admin City: Mountain View
    Admin State/Province: California
    Admin Postal Code: 94041
    Admin Country: US
    Admin Phone: +1.4089405686
1 Like

Its pretty common in places like San Francisco to see multiple companies (especially tech) housed within the same building. Its really only at the point that they are Oracle or similar that they have their own compounds (even then .. thats likely to be right next to some other silicon compound)

2 Likes

I don't know anything about maintaining a package so let's hope some that someone will step up to it :grin:

About The Address, @cscs said everything. Signal has (thankfully) nothing to do with whatsapp or facebook ofc.

1 Like

Forum kindly sponsored by