Signal desktop (community edition) outdated

Dear all,
the official community version of the signal messenger desktop version is outdated (v. 6.18., by contrast to the flatpack version, vs. 6.28). It’s not possible to use it without the update at the moment? When will the community version be updated?
Background: I lost my phone, so the only access to signal is via my desktop version. If I would switch to the flatpack version, I am afraid, that my account does not work any more.
Beste regards,
Sebastian

All branches are on 6.28
https://packages.manjaro.org/?query=signal-desktop
You must be out of date in general.

To reset your mirror list you could do:

sudo pacman-mirrors -c all

You can also use your country, or any other invocation you prefer.
Then sync and update:

sudo pacman -Syu

Let us know if you run into trouble.

Welcome to the forum! :vulcan_salute:

If you have only just installed Manjaro, then you must first update your mirrors and then your system, because you are obviously not up to date on a number of things.

• First of all, the community repository no longer exists. Its content was merged into the extra repository about a month ago already.

• Secondly, the version of signal-desktop in the extra repository is 6.28, not 6.18.

Please update your system… :arrow_down:

sudo pacman-mirrors -f 5 && sudo pacman -Fy && sudo pacman -Syyu

Note that the above command is specifically tailored to your situation in this very moment. This is not the normal way of updating your system, but given the deprecation of the community repository and its merger into the extra repository, and that you need to refresh your mirror list, the above command is what you should use now.

After updating, be sure to merge your .pacnew files. :arrow_down:

If you’ve also got packages from the AUR installed, then you must update those as well after having completed the update as described above. :arrow_down:

pamac update --force-refresh

Be sure to let all of the above commands finish. Do not interrupt the process or press the reset button on your computer — your system will break if you do that.

Lastly and very importantly, Manjaro is a (curated) rolling-release distribution and must be kept up to date. Not doing so will eventually lead to system breakage when trying to install additional software packages, not to mention that you are leaving your system vulnerable to potential security exploits. We cannot (and will not) offer any support for systems that have not been kept up to date.

If for whatever reason — e.g. bandwidth restrictions — you cannot keep your system up to date, then I’m afraid that Manjaro is not the right distribution for you — nor for that matter any other rolling-release distribution — and then you are better off with a distribution that comes as fixed-point releases, like for instance Mint, MX Linux, Ubuntu, Fedora, et al.

Thank you so much. This was very helpful. Everything works now properly including signal desktop app.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.