PCI kernel error on boot

My system boots fine. When i use

journalctl -p 3 -xb

i see that there was an error on boot

kernel: pcieport 0000:00:1c.0: pciehp: Cannot get irq -1 for the hotplug controller

im not having any issues with system, this error message is just annoying, i see it every time

Welcome to the forum! :vulcan_salute:

If you don’t want to see any error messages or warnings at boot, add the keyword “quiet” to the boot options on the line reading GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT= in /etc/default/grub and run…

sudo update-grub

Cant i just fix this issue somehow? If there is an error there should be fix and this error can cause problems later.

I suspect that it’s a UEFI error, in which case a firmware update might fix it. On the other hand, you could always try booting with a different kernel to see whether that makes the error go away. If it does, then it’s a kernel bug.

i started to see this error recently after i switched to unstable kernels, if its kernel issue i want to report it so developers can fix it, my current kernel version is 6.4.1-1

Even if you’re on the Unstable branch, there’s still the option to use the 6.1 LTS kernel. Have you tried that one yet?

yes its working fine, even 63 was working, around 2 days ago i switched to unsable branch, i was already using latest kernel from stable branch and i had no error

Then it’s probably a kernel bug — possibly some patch that introduces a race condition or something.

I’ll ping @philm — he’s our kernel guy. :wink:

i can try all kernels from 63 to 64 to see where exactly bug appears

Okay. Be sure to report back here then. :wink:

im very sorry, i just figured out that i see same error on older kernels now (i somehow missed it), it seems that after i switched to unstable branch i updated something else too in “Software Update” and then issue started to appear, also after i first time saw this error i updated uefi and it didn’t helped, are there some logs for “Software Update” so i can see what exactly i updated? Im sure that before switching to unstable branch i had no errors like this.

Well, I guess you could check /var/log/pacman.log. :thinking:

its really hard to tell from this log, is there some other way to debug this error? Like what can cause it?? Is there anything apart from kernel itself that can cause pci error in kernel??

Apart from a hardware error, no, I can’t think of anything. :man_shrugging:

post the mandatory output of

inxi --admin --verbosity=7 --filter --no-host --width

is the bios up to date ?

yes bios is up to date, i was updating it just few days ago from official website using usb, i updated it after i had this error

My info: System: Kernel: 6.4.0-1-MANJARO arch: x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 13.1.1 - Pastebin.com

I’m still waiting for help

and we’re waiting still from some minimum basic information that YOU have to provide as the mandatory inxi-command. no infos → no answer !

1 Like

but i have already provided info…

there is a link to pastebin…