API mismatch: the client has the version 535.113.01, but this kernel module has the version 535.54.03. Please make sure that this kernel module and all NVIDIA driver components have the same version

Hello all,

I’m using Manjaro Gnome with a custom kernel version (6.3.8), because of my keyboard issue, as I posted here. After compiling the kernel, I’ve downloaded and installed Nvidia non-free driver from their website.

After a while, I tried to use my GPU and then, I’ve typed “nvidia-smi” on my terminal, but the result was:

Failed to initialize NVML: Driver/library version mismatch
NVML library version: 535.113

And then, I’ve tried typing “sudo dmesg | grep NVRM” and received the log below:

[   16.067956] NVRM: API mismatch: the client has the version 535.113.01, but
               NVRM: this kernel module has the version 535.54.03.  Please
               NVRM: make sure that this kernel module and all NVIDIA driver
               NVRM: components have the same version.

So, I decided to update my Nvidia kernel module and downloaded the Linux x64 (AMD64/EM64T) Display Driver 535.113.01 from the Nvidia website. When the download completed, I tried running the command below, as seen on tutorial:

sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-535.113.01.run

But this time, I’ve received the error below:

ERROR: Unable to find the kernel source tree for the currently running kernel.  Please make sure you have 
         installed the kernel source files for your kernel and that they are properly configured; on Red    
         Hat Linux systems, for example, be sure you have the 'kernel-source' or 'kernel-devel' RPM         
         installed.  If you know the correct kernel source files are installed, you may specify the kernel  
         source path with the '--kernel-source-path' command line option.

I’ve searched for solutions, but they are already outdated.

What should I do?

Best,
Orkut

You’re running an old unsupported kernel, and you ignored NVIDIA - ArchWiki

Warning: Avoid installing the NVIDIA driver through the package provided from the NVIDIA website.

In the thread you linked to about the keyboard issue you say it works with newer kernel versions. So use a newer supported kernel and install Nvidia drivers the correct way. Anything else is outside the scope of a Manjaro support forum.

2 Likes

Thanks for your kind reply:)

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.