Should i mess with those Pacnew files?

/etc/default/grub.pacnew
/etc/pamac.conf.pacnew
/etc/systemd/homed.conf.pacnew

i just recently discovered about pacnew files,
i saw there are some that should not be messed with like shadow, gpassword and the like.

what about those i mentioned?
i figure pamac is ok,but grub seems delicate and the third one I’m not sure what it is.

1 Like

That’s because they were created in error and would leave the system without the ability to log in.

Look at them and merge them with your customized versions. .pacnew files are only created if the installed configuration file has been customized/modified.

Concretely in this case ─ after today’s update ─ you can safely delete /etc/default/grub.pacnew, because there isn’t anything in there that’s different. You should however check your existing /etc/pamac.conf against the /etc/pamac.conf.pacnew file.

Check your /etc/systemd/homed.conf against /etc/systemd/homed.conf.pacnew as well, but chances are that you can safely delete the .pacnew. Personally I don’t use systemd-homed, and I doubt whether many people here do.

4 Likes

thank you

maybe i should have mentioned it,but those files are not related to today’s update,
i already had them before.

also,i don’t have these shadow and gpassword pacnew files,i just saw in another thread that some files should not be messed with and they brought these as an example.

i don’t recall changing anything in the grub configuration,my install is quit vanilla,
i haven’t even seen grub once since i installed manjaro.
the Pamac one;i guess it has to do with the AUR and Flatpak support i enabled.
again, i don’t really know what systemd-homed is and reading a bit in the Arch wiki,i think it may have something to do with permissions i gave to a certain USB stick?idk.

1 Like

It’s a new system that aims to create a stateless machine, so that the user accounts and their files are not dependent on the machine but on the storage volume containing them. As such, you can keep your entire $HOME on a USB stick, move that stick to another computer with systemd-homed and then you can log in there, because your user account and your login are stored on the stick instead of in the usual system files.

There are use cases where this new strategy is desirable, but it is definitely not suitable for all installations, and especially not on servers. And that’s why it’s still considered something optional.

Like I said, I don’t use it, and there won’t be too many people on the forum who do. :wink:

2 Likes

what do you think of this grub comparison?(especially the first blue line)

is there anything i should do?,besides probably bring the new green “stuff” to the original file.

The first blue highlight does not contain a resume entry in the .pacnew, because the .pacnew is just a generic file, and it has no knowledge of your swap partition. It also doesn’t have any apparmor setting.

Farther down, you will see that the .pacnew has no knowledge of where Manjaro stores its themes, and the rest is pretty much all commented out. So you can copy over the green-highlighted stuff if you want, but it’s only a comment section.

P.S.: If you want the GRUB menu to be visible at boot, change the line… :arrow_down:

GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=hidden

… into… :arrow_down:

GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=menu

… and run… :arrow_down:

sudo update-grub
2 Likes

Thank you
I’m starting to understand better what’s going on.
it seems i can just delete all those pacnew files.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.