Should I enable fsck hook during installation?

Sometime ago I created post similar to this.
If I'm correct fsck hook is going to force file system check for ext4 fs

I will install manjaro on second computer.
2 disks
sdd - system - btrfs (fot btrfs fsck hook in m-a is not needed [wont even work]). / and /home on the same partition
hdd - it's going to be data drive (about 800GB of pictures) - I'll go with ext4

For config like above with system on btrfs and data (symlinked to home) what is the best option? (safety of data on the first place, speed is second)

It'll never hurt to add the hook. :wink:

1 Like

And is there a simple way to to this after installation?

Without the hook system booting is completely silent. With hook enabled little before system login screen at the top of the screen there is a line with some info about file system check.
I'm not 100% sure that it's because hook is enabled but it seems to me that without it there wasn't anything
(On my laptop during the test installs once I forgot to enable it)

Unfortunately not. You have to add the hook to /etc/mkinitcpio.conf and then rebuild each of your initramfs against the kernels that they belong to.

1 Like

I have fresh install with some mistakes so I'll install system once more. Now with hook.

In my point of view if hook enabled is batter than worse than it should be enabled by default and there should be a way to disable it. Not the opposite.

1 Like

IIRC, the FSCK hook was removed for that 'silent GRUB' crap.

2 Likes

But isn't the fsck hook enabled the safer setting? If I want safety for my files than fsck hook is a god thing right?

1 Like

I never used silent grub; therefore never removed the fsck hook. I worry more about blank consoles then a few lines while booting.

Anyway, you should be A-OK to put the hook back in. Don't forget to re-generate your initramfs.

2 Likes

I used it because it is default right now.
I like to see lines of text during boot.
Looks so pro :smiley:

1 Like

I have one old laptop with manjaro on it
in mkinitcpio.conf there is line:
HOOKS=(base udev autodetect modconf block filesystems keyboard fsck)
Not my edit. Its there since the installation. Does it mean than fsck hook was enabled during installation?
How can I check if it's working?

Yes, that is correct.

Unless something has changed in the meantime, the ext4 filesystem will automatically be checked at boot every X number of boots, even if there were no problems during previous boots.

The fsck interval can be set in the filesystem by way of tune2fs, and I presume the system log will have a record in it of any fsck happening at boot. :thinking:

1 Like

Personally I set my fsck to only run if an error is encountered (triggered by any number of signals or a failed boot or quick successive reboots, etc)

But if data integrity is your number one priority .. I suppose the always-fsck makes sense.

1 Like

Do you know maybe.
What is the default setting in calamares installer?

I thought the default was fsck every time ... but I havent used calamares in years.
[every recent install was architect .. and that was a while ago and modified]

Forum kindly sponsored by