Shortcut error Manjaro xfce on laptop

I installed Manjaro Xfce in my girlfriend’s laptop and I created a shortcut to one of her folders in Windows (dual boot). The thing is, sometimes the shortcut, placed in desktop, works, and sometimes it doesn’t and when the shortcut doesn’t work, it goes to home and I don’t know why.

This is the shortcut itself:

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Name=Universidad
Comment=
Exec=/usr/bin/thunar
Icon=folder-green-books
Path=/run/media/aisha/CED05B6FD05B5D31/Users/Usuario/Desktop/UNIVERSIDAD/
Terminal=false
StartupNotify=false

How can I make it work properly?

P.S. I have to say I use Manjaro myself (GNOME) and I couldn’t be happier.

Hi @hachuwaka, and welcome!

While I am not sure, since I have ever only made 2/3 custom .desktop files, the Path= entry here looks suspicious. It doesn’t look generic enough for most situations.

I’m not sure what it does, but I almost think it opens Thunar file manager to browse a directory on a flash drive? And sometimes it works, while sometimes it doesn’t, you say.

Might it be that it doesn’t work when the flash drive is removed? Or after it’s plugged in again? Or possibly when it’s been formatted?

Edit:

If that’s thee case, there’s no real help for it but to change the behaviour with either the laptop or the flash drive.

You need to do 2 things:

1. Ensure the Windows drive is mounted in fstab

UUID=634E43D367B0A4BA                     /media/d-drive     ntfs-3g noauto,x-systemd.automount,x-systemd.device-timeout=10,rw,inherit,permissions,streams_interface=windows,windows_names,compression,norecover,hide_dot_files,hide_hid_files,big_writes 0 2

2. Don’t create a .desktop file but create a symbolic link:

cd  ~/Desktop
    ln --symbolic /media/d-drive

Then it works 100% of the time.

Where obviously:

• 634E43D367B0A4BA is the actual UID of your D: drive (or C:, E:, whatever it is), probably CED05B6FD05B5D31
  • d-drive is the directory you created to mount the drive in.

:crossed_fingers:

1 Like

This. This is a much better option than my overcomplicated one.

Edit:
That is, if it is what I thought it is.

Edit 2:
I’ve just thought of this, another option which might be better, is creating an automount unit

Examples can be found here: [root tip] systemd mount unit samples

2 Likes