Shallow Save File Dialog

For me, the window that opens when saving a file (for example from a web browser) is very sparing. For my use case, I would benefit from a normal dolphin-like dialog. Can anyone explain to me, what kind of dialog is it that is being used now, and do I have options to change it or to configure it?

Example

The window in the picture is the GtkFileChooserDialog, part of the Gtk framework.

I’m not using KDE, I can only point to posts by KDE users regarding this matter:

1 Like

Thanks so much for the quick reply. Nice info that this is the gtk dialog.

Even though one of the linked answer says it doesn’t work on a chromium based browser, I’ll try to reproduce the fix for brave. I use different browsers but brave is the main browser i use and it is chromium based. Other suggestions and fixes are very welcome. Thanks so far :blush::pray:

1 Like

It does work on Chromium-based browsers ─ it works in Chromium proper, and in Falkon, which is the Plasma-native browser and is also Chromium-based ─ but the problem lies with Brave, and it doesn’t have anything to do with the browser engine, but with the fact that Brave is GTK-based.

You could try adding export GTK_USE_PORTAL=1 to ~/.xinitrc and see whether that makes a difference. Note: You’ll have to log out of Plasma first and log back in for the change to take effect.

Found the solution here: reddit - Google Chrome opening gtk file dialog insted kde dialog.

installing kdialog and running the application with the environmental variable are the recommended solutions XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=kde brave

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.