Settings > Keyboard > Reset to Defaults should reset to Manjaro default instead of XFCE default

Multiple past forum posts exist for this issue, titled Anyone here has a default Manjaro XFCE keyboard shortcut? and Lost keybaord functionality after "Reset to Defaults" (sorry, forum won’t let me link them)

It seems that when a new user is created, including the original user and root, /etc/skel/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-keyboard-shortcuts.xml is copied to their ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/, and that file can be copied manually later to reset to the original configuration. However, clicking the “Reset to Defaults” button in the GUI Keyboard Settings interface loads a completely different set of shortcuts from somewhere, possibly /etc/xdg/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-keyboard-shortcuts.xml.

Is there a reason the source of the reset doesn’t have Manjaro’s defaults in it?

Would the default source be hardcoded?

:man_shrugging:

You are close to the answer.

When a user is first created, in a generalized linux app, the files in /etc/skel are referenced.

When a user clicks Reset in an XFCE config app, the files in /etc/xdg/xfce4 are refereneced.

I suppose a feature request could be made to Manjaro to have an app in “Manjaro Settings Manager” to Reset XFCE components from /etc/skel/.config. Or maybe to XFCE to recognize /etc/skel/.config

For a DIY solution, when you first install/create a user or you get your desktop “just right”, take a backup/snapshot of .config and use the files in the backup to restore. If you need to compare the difference between files, use diff or the GUI meld.

My proposed fix is for the Manjaro xfce4 package to include the modified /etc/xdg/xfce4/ file(s)

1 Like