setting gpu driver

I'm using a MSI gaming laptop with dual graphics, Intel intergrated and Nvidia GTX 970M. I have both Intel and nvidia drivers installed and this is my output from glxinfo | grep

OpenGL vendor string: Intel
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa Intel(R) HD Graphics 530 (SKL GT2)
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.6 (Core Profile) Mesa 20.1.3
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.60
OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
OpenGL core profile extensions:
OpenGL version string: 4.6 (Compatibility Profile) Mesa 20.1.3
OpenGL shading language version string: 4.60
OpenGL context flags: (none)
OpenGL profile mask: compatibility profile
OpenGL extensions:
OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.2 Mesa 20.1.3
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.20
OpenGL ES profile extensions:

Is this correct ? I am usinf intel but will automatically switch to Nvidia when needed ?

I don't have experience with Intel/Nvidia dual GPU setups, but what you're seeing is you're currently using the included Intel drivers because of this line in your output:

If you were to use the proprietary Nvidia driver, that same line would read "Nvidia" instead of "Intel."

Sorry for not creating a new thread. I have the nvidia drivers installed what I was asking was is it showing intel because of nvidia prime? Its something new to me as I was a long time mint user with optimus switch

I honestly don't know because, again, I've never used a dual-GPU machine.

Try prime-run glxinfo. If you use Nvidia Prime you need to prefix the commands, of applications you want to use the Nvidia Card with, with prime-run
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PRIME#PRIME_render_offload

If that does not work please post the output of mhwd -li.

3 Likes

So, I just discovered that my default GPU was Intel thanks to coming across this post, and can confirm that prime-run [command] runs things with the NVIDIA GPU

Probably why I've had to run native steam games in proton. From my limited understanding vulkan forces the use of the nvidia card rather than the default one. So if i set steam and lutris in prime run I should be good

I would not set complete Steam to use the Nvidia GPU. You should be able to run single games with it by adding
prime-run %command% to the launch options of the game. Should save you a bit of battery.
Should be more or less the same with Lutris. Not sure but you would probably need to put it before the executable path in the game options.

1 Like

This could also (albeit by very little) boost performance because there is no overhead from rendering anything steam-related aside from the game itself.

On newer hybrid GPU laptops Manjaro sets by default hybrid Intel-Nvidia driver setup. This means, your system works in Hybrid mode: all runs with Intel, Nvidia is constantly powered on and can be used when you use prime-run environmental variable, so:

prime-run steam

Then test what GPU drivers are used in Steam.

The only situation where Nvidia will be used automatically if you start a game with Vulkan (so with Proton/DXVK). Then Vulkan defaults to Nvidia if available. However, using prime-run doesn't hurt in this case, so you can apply it globally for Steam or for specific games. See tutorial below (point 9)

In MHWD this configuration is named:

video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-440xx-prime

To check if you really have this setup, use:

mhwd -li

Or go to hardware configuration in Manjaro Settings.

If you need to control more which drivers are used and save battery power, you can use optimus-manager or optimus-switch:

Show us your hardware info:

inxi -Fxxx0

IMPORTANT NOTE: Do not temper with drivers manually in Manjaro. In 99% of cases user break their configuration. Use MHWD to change drivers if needed:

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Configure_Graphics_Cards

Note, that MHWD positions are not drivers, but CONFIGURATIONS, so they contain various driver packages and proper configs.

video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-440xx-prime configuration is currently the one you should be using and it can be used for setting up more advanced, manual configurations as showed in the tutorial above.

1 Like

I. Using the 440 hybrid driver and everything is working as you said. Any steam games launched using proton worked because of vulkan. I've edited steam to launch with prime-run steam and the same for lutris. I don't think I'll need anything else to run on the dgpu so I'm happy with that. I've thought about configuring optimus but not sure id save much battery running in intel graphics only as opposed to hybrid mode.

I'd read all the guides you'd linked i just wasn't sure i was doing things right but at least I know i am now

1 Like

Energy savings depend on mostly in the hardware and how new it is. The newest hardware do have ability to power down Nvidia, but that's only fraction of models on the market - yet. The recently new, 2-3 years, have Nvidia in low power mode, so it uses a little energy, The majority will have ca. 30 % or more energy consumption thou. It varies greatly from computer to computer.
If battery life seems to be OK for you, then there is no need to change anything.

1 Like

Forum kindly sponsored by