Ssh -Y graphics very slow even though connection is great (X11 forwarding)

Hi,

When using ssh-Y to a locally connected server and opening TBrowser (a graphics browser used in the ROOT data analysis framework), I have to wait a very long time for it to load (>10 seconds). When I hover over the menu, it expands only slowly and line by line. My colleagues sitting in the same room do not experience this, so something has to be wrong with my laptop. When they connect from my laptop and log in to their account, it still does not work.

I use Manjaro Linux 6.1.55-1 which is long-term-supported and “recommended,” and updated all my packages two days ago. The ping to the server is excellent (less than 1 ms) and the up- and downlink great (100 MB/s).

What could be wrong with my setup?

Difficult to say - what is your NIC and how are you connected?

inxi -Nxxx

Here the output:

Network:
  Device-1: Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 driver: iwlwifi v: kernel pcie: speed: 5 GT/s
    lanes: 1 bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 8086:2723 class-ID: 0280
  Device-2: Realtek RTL8153 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter driver: r8152 type: USB
    rev: 3.0 speed: 5 Gb/s lanes: 1 bus-ID: 2-2:2 chip-ID: 0bda:8153
    class-ID: 0000 serial: 003DB

I have an ethernet to USB adapter on my laptop and an ethernet cable connected to it. I am wired to my university’s network and experience pristine up- and downlink (1 Gb/s both ways on speedtest net).

WiFi is usually on as well, but even when turning it off, the problem doesn’t disappear.

With a working network connection - you would have to compare you collegues ssh configuration with yours.

There is nothing special with the openssh package on Arch and by inheritance Manjaro nor the accompanying default configs.

The only point left is your configuration :man_shrugging: compare with your collegues and see what differs.

You should at least ensure you have the xorg-xauth package installed on your system - and try the -X argument instead of -Y

I suggest you see the OpenSSH - ArchWiki page - the tips and tricks section

1 Like

Thanks for the reply!
I had xorg-xauth already installed. My .ssh/config file is not special. I only use “Host”, “Hostname”, “User” and, for some hosts (but not for the problematic one) “ProxyJump”. Anyways, even when I do ssh -Y 10.152.XXX, the connection is still bad and the config file should not influence anything. I do have ssh key authentication, but that shouldn’t slow down anything either.
ssh -X does not seem to work at all. ROOT crashes with a “no space left on device” error, when opening a TBrowser. It does work with ssh -Y though, but slow, as you know.

I think your problem is lying there - check your diskspace on the server - whatever you got stored there …