Set 04 10:42:28 rohan systemd-remount-fs[245]: /usr/bin/mount for / exited with exit status 1

That is a difficult question - and there’s no easy answer.

I see the dilemma when

• the old efi partition is on one disk
  • the root on a second
  • you want the whole #! on a third

Furthermore you have some some hard-to-recreate configuration in the old root - perhaps even data you want to migrate as painless as possible.

Assuming you have a working installation on the nvme device, the efi partition already contains the necessary efi loaders.

Assuming you are in posession of a bootable ISO with Manjaro. The ISO’s live-overlay usually contains clonezilla.

A viable option is booting the live system then use clonezilla (partition to partition) or dd to clone the old root partition from the usb enclosure to the root partition of the nvme. Something like

sudo dd if=/dev/$USB1 of=/dev/nvme0n1p2 status=progress bs=10M && sync

When this is done eject the USB and chroot into the system on the nvme and use efibootmgr to adjust entries as needed.

You may have to use e.g. gparted to bring the cloned paritions filesystem table in sync with the disks filesystem table.

Please be responsible - I may have missed something - in any case - you sitll have the original to fallback to :slight_smile:

Yes this is the dilemma I do have this annoying setups to recreate. As you pointed out I have all saved on the old ssd. So I would like to:

1. clone old_SSD → NVME.
  2. deatach old_SSD
  3. re-run grub from NVME
  4. remove old grub.

Does it seem sound?

I’ve successfully used partclone to speed up similar processes in the past - it will only copy used blocks (as opposed to dd which will copy everthing).

Whats the procedure with partclone?

partclone is from the partclone project and the engine used by clonezilla :slight_smile:

man partclone
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.