Serious Upgrade Problem

As others said, there would have been plenty of options to rescue the data or get the system running again - everything could have been done via the live CD.

But maybe Manjaro could prepare for similar cases that may happen in future, so it won’t happen again. The problem here I think is a lack of directly accessible information what to do if a user wants to recover something. The live environments could be extended maybe by following options:

• Provide a “recovery guide/application” that covers the steps how to get help, backup data and rescue the user data
  • Calamares could offer a “separate home partition” option if a user doesn’t partition manually (AFAIK it takes everything for root) [more a preventive measure]
  • Calamares could detect an installation that is about to be overwritten and could offer information / maybe an option to migrate /home (“Migrate your data”)

Perhaps, you are right. Just having /home on its own partition would be enough to solve the problem in the case even by a reinstall. I guess, Calamares doesn’t offer this by default because it is somewhat a puzzle how large to make /home, and therefore / — what if a user will never clean the cache of pacman?..

I like that words :grin:

Get off your high horse–the gift is in the giving. Learn to give without expectations (not always an easy thing to do).

Regards

I agree and I think you may didn’t understand my post. (probably my fault I’m usually not expressing myself as I want to) I really don’t care for likes & thank you & other expectations… really. Although I’m always posting them myself. Just a courtesy and appreciation from my side.

But in this case I pointed out since OP gets so easy mad at people who are volunteering their time. (I think I have seen similar post before from same poster) Like someone owe him something. (I’m getting mad so someone finally do something kinda tone) And for that reason (his tone) I will avoid to post to him in the future.

The gimme! but not give back was just an example although I can see was not a good one, since now it comes out I’m offended by not getting thank you. Could not be further from the truth!

Idea of my post was to let him know his “I’m getting mad, test longer, do better job…” kind of language may start back fire him.

Sorry but can’t help if it rubs me the wrong way when some act like this.

Here for example he is getting pissed:

I understand completely! In the construction business we used to say, “Buy 'em books and buy 'em books, and all they do is rip the covers and eat the pages.” :smiley:

And I apologize for letting “c00ter’s Life Lessons Learned the Hard Way” intrude into the conversation. :smiley:

Regards

Hi,

I am so sorry to hear that you lost the data. I could relate the problem you faced and seems like you had not other option other than this at that moment. But in future I suggest you to have a live usb /DVD as a back-up and try to solve the problems with the help of giants in this community. Also you could try with some data recovery software to get back the data as when we format the system the whole data won’t be deleted, but only the address information may lost. Some recovery tools could recover the data, I had done that sometime back. But I forgot the software name now ( I think it was photorec.)

If you face similar issue later, please bug your friend and post the issue in our community using his/her network and system :wink:
All the best.
Sree

Head over to tutorials section.

[quote=“badbodh, post:12, topic:9703, full:true”]

Troll.

NOPE !!!
Not in my opinion!

IF something is really valuable then i make a Backup and a second Backup and i test if i can bring it back to life!

I also had to learn this the hard way and on work(!) but a Backup where you cannot bring back a single dir or file is not valuable! (complete restore of the file server is impossible cause of the needed space!!!)
And it’s 2016, there is a plenty space in the cloud for a small amount of money.

For a private person this my be luxury but data is nowadays the backbone of the most firms.
And why was there no extra Home-Partition?
On a rolling release distro?

@badbodh has made some serious comments so please read them and keep it in mind.

I personal comment:

• I prefer since i switched to Linux sbackup to backup my personal data
  • After six years with Ubuntu/Xubuntu i switch to Manjaro, it is not a disto for beginners
  • The warranty is the same (or equal) for Microsoft OSes
  • Divide OS and your personal data!
    • small SSD for the system
    • whatever you need for your data on a hard drive
  • Keep your data backuped, twice, or more(!), on different places(!!!) cause of fire, earth quake - IF it is real valuable!
  • Switch to a beginner-friendly non-rolling distro and use VirtualBox for your tests on Manjaro, you will learn a lot about the inside and Linux itself

As a non-geek user I have an easy solution: Keep your data on a separate partition/drive.
I have three OSes on my laptop and a drive for archiving data, then:
1- I can access to my data from whichever OS I boot.
2- No matter what happens to any OS, my data will be intact.

A very interesting thread! I started programming in 1963, all kinds of iron. I made a lot of mistakes. I learned it was very important to ask questions and take them to heart. One time, I deleted a 6,000,000 record file on a mainframe at the U. of California. I went to the comuter center and found out that the machine operators made lots of backup tapes everytime a user ran a program. I am retired and I know some of you also have the time.

So I propse that some of us old dudes take the time, coperate, and get these ideas into some form, to help these new users. If you add up our years of experience, I bet it is several hundred years of experience. I love Manjaro! I am a nut about backups. In Unix and now in Linux, you can do great things but you can also really mess up. So, what do you say, old timers?

An aside: I have found that the ALGOL 68 is in the repo. I loved that language. It is a souped up FORTRAN.

@saneed_Iranzad, If it is mission critical data, you still need a backup. If your OS partition crash, you have your data. What if your data partition crash? :wink:

Thanks,
Balaji.

what if the entire drive explodes due to short-circuit ? I say always wear a helmet and create backups.

Yes, me too. I once lost my whole music collection in the early 2000s, due to a bug in a Mandrake installer. Ever since, I have at least one backup of my data.
That’s the reason why my comment was intentionally harsh.
If you value your data, you have a backup of it.

I have been making backups since I started using a computer in 1996, and I have never lost anything since then.

That happened to me once, but it was my mistake. I have formatted a partition that had all pictures collection and installed Linux Mint (It was before the manjaro period) on it. I realized it only after couple of days when I searched for my pictures collection. I have used minitools data recovery software from windows partition and I was able to get pretty much all pictures. Now, I have a backup, but it may not be a 100% backup, probably 95% of the pics will be there in the backup.

Thanks,
Balaji.

Once I accidentally ran rm -rf in my home, been blaming Richard Stallman ever since. I even have his mugshot on a dartboard.

There was some bashrc hackery which needed the user to confirm an rm or mv command first. I lost it.

“sudo”? :joy:

upd: Ooops, it doesn’t work with rm -fr *.
Does anyone know how to make it prompt before every removal in this case?

sudo mv /sbin/rm /sbin/rm.THINK
sudo mv /usr/bin/rm /usr/bin/rm.THINK

I used these on some internet café machines to move halt and shutdown so only myself could turn the PCs off. :wink:

But this is sure not recommended!