Serious Upgrade Problem

If you had not re-installed, but posted here asking for help, we could have helped you save all of your business information.

Tsk, tsk.

yeah i shouldn’t have rebooted, but it was when i started the computer again this issue happened. i had no way of making logs for anyone to look at as the screen went blank and the computer was then left unusable for anything.

also i have only one computer that works, which is the one i use

I understand. I’ve done the same.

The point is, re-installing solves the problem but doesn’t give you the answer for what to do next time. And it doesn’t matter if it is Linux, Windows, or a Mac, it is going to happen.

Any computer used for business needs better data management, and a better tempered IT department, nay? :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

A bunch of us hang around here all day. Next time give us a shout first. You can always connect if you want to badly enough…

Regards

Sorry this happened to you.

But perhaps if your new to Manjaro, you might delay putting all your business files on any operating system you don’t well understand, or can’t recover from when errors happen.

While you might have to re-install occasionally, with a deeper understanding of the Manjaro distro you would be unlikely to lose any data.

After all, as you should know from your Opensuse experience with linux, the operating system can be changed out or upgraded without ever touching the user data. A black monitor isn’t the kiss of death, and a re-install probably isn’t the first or best resort.

Did you try looking at a console (ctrl-alt-f3 for example) to see if you could check messages and find out what the problem was?

If you have to tread in uncharted waters, take backups, use a thumb drive, or dropbox or whatever.

nope didn’t try those things. even the terminal wasn’t to be seen

You really want to try to get help here first before wiping out important data. When everything else fails, you can always boot with any live DVD (don’t even need to be Manjaro) you can then chroot into your system and copy/save data or most often fix your system. Especially if it is not just hobby computer!

I suggest you check out few step by step tutorials how to help yourself when you get into trouble, like this one:

This one is more detailed, has few extra steps (more mounting)

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Restore_the_GRUB_Bootloader

Don’t forget you need to back up your data. Here is one guide:

Get somewhere spare/testing computer and train upper steps. So when something bad happens, you are ready.

Always keep a live-usb handy, you never know when things go south. I can recall several occasions when my windows refused to play nice and I had to use linuxmint live stick to save my eggs. Failure can occur in any OS, any hardware component. My hdd died recently, thanks to live-usb it didn’t slow me down.

I always carry a manjaro or mint usb with me wherever I go. Don’t ask where I carry it, but really comes in handy when you need to borrow a poorly maintained, dog-awful pc full of viruses to do a quick google.

on irc helped someone baclscreen after boot ; chrioot and re-install video drivers , that seems to work…

Don’t you have backup of your data?
If you don’t, your data wasn’t of any importance.

Also, it seems to me like it’s just an Xserver problem with your data still on the disk (unless you reinstalled).

i don’t have any important data on here anymore. or atleast not at this stage.

why is there an xserver problem after the update. it should enabled or re-enabled after update. when this sort of thing happens it makes me very mad. i’ve never had an issue until now. been using it for months and now this happens. it is as though the testing stages is shorter than it shoud be. i can wait for a month or until the fixes are ready to be installed

Troll.

Nah.

@jshand A few things you need to clearly understand

• Manjaro is a somewhat bleeding-edge rolling distro. If you demand stability beyond compare, go for centos, debian or pay for a redhat/suse license. You are handling mission-critical data right ? It is your responsibility to choose a distro after extensive research and advice-seeking. People ask “which distro should I use for xxxxxxxx” here all the time. You should have done the same.

• While Manjaro is stable enough for everyday desktop use, a user is expected to be familiar with basic GNU/Linux workflow and keep up with the update announcements to be aware of potential problems. We are beginner-friendly, not beginner-proof. You should put in some effort to learn a tool that’s critical to your business.

• If you come across a problem, always keep a live-usb handy so that you can connect to IRC or forums and seek help. Learning to troubleshoot is essential.

• Your backup is your responsibility, and critical for any “Business machine”.

That’s not how Manjaro rolls. Users here demand latest and greatest, not “bug-less” (if there is such a thing). Developer team is small, community is small, and a small fraction of that opt for testing or unstable branches to find and report bugs before they end up in stable. Resources are limited. What you “demand” can only be provided by ^ distros I mentioned above.

In this place there are no customers, only friends.

I should have been a speech-writer for Trump !

[Stable Update] 2016-10-09 - Kernels, Manjaro Tools, Deepin, NM, LibreOffice, Steam

Chances are you might still be able to recover your data. Install testdisk and do a raw scan on the drive/partition. You should be able to see your data and recover. If the data is less than 1GB, you could try minitools power data recovery live CD. I have recovered several GB of pictures even after formatting and installing a linux on a partition.

You could try this also. Runtime Data Recovery or Active LiveCD

If you are working on a real production machine, my suggestion would be to not to have a rolling release distro like Manjaro or Arch.

Even if you have, your mission critical data should be on a separate partition, not in the root partition where the OS is installed.

If the volume of data is not high, use some kind of online storage like Dropbox or Google Drive.

If you see a blank screen while booting, you could choose the second entry from the boot menu “Advanced Options …” and see if it works. You can ask for help in the forums using a tablet or mobile phone with internet.

Finally, re-installing the OS should be the very last option to try (if you are not a distro hopper…)

Thanks,
Balaji.

I have had crashes with CentOS 7 also. The CentOS repo doesn’t have all the softwares that I need and I had to add extra repositories like RPMFusion. An update from an RPMfusion package crashed the OS and I never looked back on CentOS.

It is a great stable distro as long as you stay with the CentOS repo.

Thanks,
Balaji.

No. And you know that.

15. Disclaimer of Warranty.

THERE IS NO WARRANTY FOR THE PROGRAM, TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW. EXCEPT WHEN OTHERWISE STATED IN WRITING THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND/OR OTHER PARTIES PROVIDE THE PROGRAM “AS IS” WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO THE QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE OF THE PROGRAM IS WITH YOU. SHOULD THE PROGRAM PROVE DEFECTIVE, YOU ASSUME THE COST OF ALL NECESSARY SERVICING, REPAIR OR CORRECTION.

16. Limitation of Liability.

IN NO EVENT UNLESS REQUIRED BY APPLICABLE LAW OR AGREED TO IN WRITING WILL ANY COPYRIGHT HOLDER, OR ANY OTHER PARTY WHO MODIFIES AND/OR CONVEYS THE PROGRAM AS PERMITTED ABOVE, BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR DAMAGES, INCLUDING ANY GENERAL, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF THE USE OR INABILITY TO USE THE PROGRAM (INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO LOSS OF DATA OR DATA BEING RENDERED INACCURATE OR LOSSES SUSTAINED BY YOU OR THIRD PARTIES OR A FAILURE OF THE PROGRAM TO OPERATE WITH ANY OTHER PROGRAMS), EVEN IF SUCH HOLDER OR OTHER PARTY HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.

https://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl

If you buy redhat or suse enterprise licenses, things are handled differently :wink: OP is probably looking for something like that.

Being free is not always comfortable, because this implies your own responsibility.

It makes me feel a lot of gratitude for all the people involved into Manjaro project for all their unselfish time they are putting in!

There will be occasional problems. It is up to you to decide to learn enough basic about Manjaro (and Linux) to be able to start helping yourself when this happens. You becoming mad tells me more about yourself than you even realize.

One more thing. Above I posted few links to help you get started learning the most important tasks. Apparently you ignored it. No thank you, no ‘like’ no acknowledge you have seen it. I took my time searching something for you and for what. So you can ignore it and just keep complaining and writing how mad you got?

Well I made my mind up, I will not help you in the future. You are not worth my time. (although as a beginer I don’t have much to offer I will admit that) :slight_smile:

The hard truth is, the OP has to blame only himself for reinstalling, what might have been easily fixed from any livecd with chroot. And sadly, this way the team will never find out what caused it, no detailed information was given so far. Its only a rant.
While updates should not produce inconvenience, as a matter of fact, it can happen on any OS. It gets messy, if there is no proper data backup strategy for a business machine.

As others said, there would have been plenty of options to rescue the data or get the system running again - everything could have been done via the live CD.

But maybe Manjaro could prepare for similar cases that may happen in future, so it won’t happen again. The problem here I think is a lack of directly accessible information what to do if a user wants to recover something. The live environments could be extended maybe by following options:

• Provide a “recovery guide/application” that covers the steps how to get help, backup data and rescue the user data
  • Calamares could offer a “separate home partition” option if a user doesn’t partition manually (AFAIK it takes everything for root) [more a preventive measure]
  • Calamares could detect an installation that is about to be overwritten and could offer information / maybe an option to migrate /home (“Migrate your data”)