Second preview of Manjaro Ellada released

preview
release

One week passed and we are happy to present our second preview release of Ellada.

Overall changes

Our KDE edition gained Plasma 5.7, Framework 5.24 and Apps 16.04. We struggled much with QT 5.7, which changed the handling of GTK theming, however this we were able to solve more or less. Our Manjaro Settings Manager gained some apperance fixes for low resolutions and updated translations. Within Pamac we fixed some smaller issues, updated drivers, kernels and regular packages.

Calamares

Our graphical installer comes now in version v2.4-beta2 which adds a multitude of new features:

• Support for already mounted loop filesystems as source for the unpackfs operation (thanks to BlackPantherOS developer hmikihth)
  • Fixes in the machineid module to ensure randomness (thanks to Manjaro developer Philip MĂĽller)
  • Improved support for LC_* variables in localecfg module (expect more of this next week)
  • Fixed an issue which used to scramble partition colors and detected operating system names when operating on logical partitions (please test this as it required substantial changes in the partition module)
  • Fixed a (rare) crash in the partition module
  • CI is back, so translations are much more current now
  • Support for reusing an existing /home partition if detected in the /etc/fstab file of an existing operating system
  • New netinstall module (by Luca Giambonini and Lisa Vitolo) which offers the user a choice of packages to install. (Not active on all editions)
  • A long standing and hard to debug issue with occasional unwanted resize operations being executed got fixed
  • A partitioning module configuration option for showing partition labels in the manual partitioning interface got added
  • support for NVME devices in fstab got improved
  • mke2fs and e2fsck handling, which fixes a multitude of random (but not very frequent) install failures got much improved
  • A type to search support in the keyboard module got implemented
  • A partitioning module configuration option for selecting the default filesystem type got added
  • End2End luks encryption
  • The usual assortment of minor warning and bug fixes.

Also we managed to bump our used kernel now to Linux46, updates to Plasma 5, usage of VLC-nightly and bugfixes for Mesa 12. Also we added regular upstream package updates.

Please test this release thru and thru and give us needed feedback.

kind regards

Philip MĂĽller and the Manjaro Development Team

Links

Does anyone know what to do if live usb gets stuck at "A start job is running for LiveMedia MHWD Script"

“While very user-friendly and certainly flashy, KDE is also quite resource heavy and noticably slower to start and use than a desktop environment such as XFCE.”

Not so much, if a little eye-candy is turned off. :smiley:

Regards

P.S. Thanks, @philm. :slight_smile:

I’m going to try the KDE edition.

I agree @c00ter. Plasma 5 is much more resource friendly than any previous KDE IMHO…especially if it is fine-tuned. I find it very responsive indeed, even on my moderately powered Dell Studio.:sunglasses:

Best regards.

Can you give some examples?

'LLo,

Just virtually tried xfce, all is nice expect known bug with weird pointer themes, but why these isos becomes so heavy ?

I noticed that Firefox can’t open magnet links even though qBittorrent comes pre-installed
(I installed the first preview version ~5 days ago)

Sourceforge is down. :disappointed:

What do you mean with heavy? These are the default package sets. Development releases are lighter as we use the minimal-profiles there. The mouse cursor issue is related to QT5.7 and will be fixed within VirtualBox 5.1.4. Also this issue is upstream and has nothing to do with Manjaro itself, as you will have the same issue with Windows or any other OS with given combination of QT.

[quote=“philm, post:9, topic:6774”]
Development releases are lighter
[/quote]But they still have Plymouth :rage:

Tested preview2 on netinstall [bios-legacy/msdos]
[Had done preview1 in kde (nothing to report - all fine)]
In netinstall preview2, had to install using cli but won’t allow installation of grub to partition, only to mbr. Hoping calamares cli will allow this.

Installed sddm and lumina-desktop in netinstall. All works fine.
Should we report if everything works fine?

@gohlip: all good my friend. Report issues you may find. If all is good, you can give that statement also. It means we are still on schedule :stuck_out_tongue:

'LLo,
@philm:
So heavy ? Maybe it’s because i play too much here with -cs option of buildiso in second time to delete useless locales, docs, gtk-doc from the overlays :wink:
Around that, there was a linux installer (anaconda ?) wich offered to keep only chosen locale (+ fallback/default one I assume) during process…?

Sure. Aside from the ArchWiki, there is:

https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Speeding_up_KDE
https://wiki.sabayon.org/?title=How_to_optimize_and_accelerate_your_system

And, anecdotally…goto System Settings, disable File Search…in Desktop Effects, uncheck (if checked) Morphing Popups, Sliding Popups, Scale In…in Compositor, move the slider a notch or two to the left, Scale Method to Crisp…

In your home directory, create a hidden folder called “.compose-cache” is a nifty trick.

There are others. Explore! :smiley:

Regards

I’m having the same problem with KDE ISO as here with Deepin

Might be because of my PC which needs a BIOS update.

Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

I suggest small visual improvement to Xfce iso.

1. I noticed that separator in the panel is set to “Separator” style, which gives vertical line in the middle of the panel. IMHO “Transparent” style is better

2. Notification area without frame looks better (uncheck “Show frame” in properties)

Installed the net version with xfve and deepin but ihad time getting wifi to work so much so I uninstalled then I reinstalled it again with just xfce I still had some issues getting wifi to work but I was able to do it towards the end of the day. Everything else seems to be fine.

Thanks @c00ter. In VB, those changes seemed to help a little with RAM and performance. KDE is sure different than MATE & XFCE.

I forgot one of the better ones–turn off file indexing (File Search) in System Settings…

Other than that, all DEs & distros act differently in VB. Some have difficulty running in VB at all, even with something as light as Xfce. They are each different. But I only run on bare metal, so I don’t really keep track of VB issues.

When I was a bureaucrat, I talked our IT Dept. guys into letting me run Debian on my office machine (I had to agree to maintain it), with WinXP in a VB. They were mostly Penguinistas, so were sympathetic to the cause. :wink:

Regards

You did mention the File Search in your first reply. I looked at both those links and it looks like a lot of trouble – especially for someone new to KDE.