Screen Tearing - A lot of it

I just followed Manjaro Kernels - Manjaro this but no succes

In the Manjaro Settings Manager, scroll down to the 5.4 LTS kernel (probably also says "recommended next to it) and select install. This should install the 5.4 LTS kernel for you. Did you do this?

When you reboot, you will need to select the 5.4 LTS kernel from your GRUB menu (Selecting Kernels). This should boot you using 5.4. Did you select this option in GRUB?

also I do experience even more graphics related bugs

Yes they are installed.

alright… so next step: finding out how to enter the grub menu

thanks mate

Sorry I’ve just re-read your info and you are using the nouveau open soruce driver. I’m not sure what nvidia drivers are compatible with your card but it could be a kde issue

Ok, if the GRUB menu is not shown by default on your system then the next thing to do would be to enable the menu. if you enter the following in a terminal:
sudo nano /etc/default/grub
you should be able to edit your GRUB config. You need the GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE line to be changed to:
GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=menu
then save the file and exit your nano editor, then enter:
sudo update-grub

If your intel graphics chip is the one being used by your system - I thought that’s what your post indicated - then if the kernel change to 5.4 doesn’t help then there is a change in the X11 config file that may help. This is taken from the Arch wiki here: Intel Screen Tearing
enter sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf then:

Section "Device"
  Identifier "Intel Graphics"
  Driver "intel"

Option "TearFree" "true"
EndSection
1 Like

I wanted to downgrade my kernel anyway, just to try if its helping so the help is appreciated.

But yeah eventually I would like to get my nvidia chip working as well.

Ok great. Let us know how you get on with the update to GRUB and boot into 5.4. From what I can tell, your screen tearing is most likely a configuration issue with your intel chip, as I think that is what is being used by your X display server. Hopefully something here does the trick.

you can also press “shift” or “esc” during boot to enter grub

2 Likes

Doesn’t always work, certainly doesn’t on my laptop, but is an option. Editing so that the menu always shows will always work though.

1 Like

It was easily possible to boot into the 5.45.85-1 Kernel and I immediately tried the screen tearing test video which produced subjectively a little less screen tearing but it still there.

My suddenly appearing problem with my screen resolution is still there as well (Screen resolution an Thinkpad Laptop)

So I will take a look at the wiki article about the intel screen tearing and the commands you’ve been advising me now.

Its an empty text file… I think nano created a new one. I am supposed to find a text file similar to the grub thing or is it the idea to create a new one?

Yes, if you do not have one already then you can just paste that text in there as mentioned on the Arch wiki and save the file.

I also just remembered that there is an option for vsync in Manjaro KDE Compositor System Settings; if you go to System Settings>Hardware>Display and Monitor>Compositor, you can change the Rendering Background between different versions of OpenGL and you can also change “tearing prevention (VSync)” to automatic, full screen repaints etc. Might be worth having a look to see if any of these help as well, if the X11 config file doesn’t help.

It didn’t help anything.

My Displays are playing wild now showing the wrong resolutions everything is crumbling… i am very close to have a breakdown because i don’t know what I’m doing and nothing is helping whatsoever.

when booting, my laptop display is showing just a magnified part of the overall image and i don’t know whats happening everything is failing since i went to 5.10. or at least around that time. I think I must try to reinstall the graphic drivers or something but man my motivation is very low because of all the hours spent and no results :frowning:

do you think i could be more lucky with debian?

I’m not sure then, sounds like a lot of different issues you are having that stem from issues with your graphics driver. I completely sympathise with your lack of motivation. I can only really suggest trying the other Intel driver options available (e.g. modesetting) to see if any improvement, and/or trying to get your NVidia chip working (I have read of a lot of issues with NVidia and Linux, so this might be a test of patience too).

I have only used Debian in CLI only mode on servers, so cannot really say how this will help with regards to your issues, but it certainly is an option available. I think older NVidia drivers might still be supported there though (can compile on other distributions like Manjaro, but may not necessarily be working out of box), so that might be useful to you.

Whatever you choose, best of luck getting it sorted.

1 Like

On my laptop the xf86-video-intel package caused a lot of trouble like screen tearing etc.
The solution is very easy and was found here
Maybe it works also for you?

Thanks but did you intentionally link to an answer provided in this very thread? because i tried this already of course. Or did you mean to link to something else??

Sorry, I accidentally posted the wrong link.
Here is the right one: https://forum.manjaro.org/t/kernel-5-9-10-1-video-not-usable-with-i915/39424/19

ok thanks, it didn’t help