Screen glitching

Hey,

I'm really desperate right now. I got my new Dell XPS 13 (9380) yesterday and at first I've installed Manjaro 2 times, because of this glitching.

First at all, i was able to take a picture of it happening: https://imgur.com/a/fZJrHuk

This happens totally random but with like 10 minute long pauses between it happening. And also since yesterday my whole screen already showed this over everything and I had to force restart the laptop.

I already tried to reinstall mesa, video-linux, video-vesa and also tried every possible combination of all three. Also the hardware GUI shows just "unknown device (Intel Cooporation)" instead of HD620 or whatever it should show.

I seriously hope this is no hardware issue cause I've already waited 5 weeks for shipping (thanks to Dell and the shipping from China) and dont want to wait this time again.

So hae you any tips how to resolve the problem or to test if it could be a hardware issue? I already let the Dell build in diagnosis tool run and it showed no issues.

Please run this command in a terminal inxi -Fxzc0

After pasting the output, use the </> symbol to format the text, to keep it legible. See this example Dump your inxi -Fxzc0 here and bookmark it

When you set your local language, keyboard, region etc prior to booting into Manjaro liveCD of your USB, did set it the option to free or non-free software.?

It is set up to use free software.

System:    Host: XPS13 Kernel: 5.2.2-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.1.0 Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.16.3 
           Distro: Manjaro Linux 
Machine:   Type: Laptop System: Dell product: XPS 13 9380 v: N/A serial: <filter> 
           Mobo: Dell model: 0KTW76 v: A00 serial: <filter> UEFI: Dell v: 1.5.0 date: 06/03/2019 
Battery:   ID-1: BAT0 charge: 36.5 Wh condition: 51.2/52.0 Wh (99%) model: LGC-LGC6.73 DELL H754V97 status: Discharging 
CPU:       Topology: Quad Core model: Intel Core i7-8565U bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Kaby Lake rev: C L2 cache: 8192 KiB 
           flags: avx avx2 lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 31880 
           Speed: 779 MHz min/max: 400/4600 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 800 2: 800 3: 800 4: 799 5: 797 6: 800 7: 800 8: 800 
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel UHD Graphics 620 vendor: Dell driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.5 driver: modesetting resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
           Message: Unable to show advanced data. Required tool glxinfo missing. 
Audio:     Device-1: Intel Cannon Point-LP High Definition Audio vendor: Dell driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:1f.3 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.2.2-1-MANJARO 
Network:   Device-1: Qualcomm Atheros QCA6174 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter 
           vendor: Bigfoot Networks Killer 1435 Wireless-AC driver: ath10k_pci v: kernel port: efa0 bus ID: 02:00.0 
           IF: wlp2s0 state: up mac: <filter> 
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 476.94 GiB used: 15.44 GiB (3.2%) 
           ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 vendor: Samsung model: PM981 NVMe 512GB size: 476.94 GiB 
Partition: ID-1: / size: 245.08 GiB used: 15.44 GiB (6.3%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/nvme0n1p3 
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 32.00 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/nvme0n1p2 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 36.0 C mobo: N/A 
           Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
Info:      Processes: 278 Uptime: 1h 35m Memory: 15.32 GiB used: 1.09 GiB (7.1%) Init: systemd Compilers: gcc: 9.1.0 
           Shell: zsh v: 5.7.1 inxi: 3.0.35 

You could give it a try with the intel driver instead of modesetting:

xf86-video-intel

I'm sorry to ask, i've switched to Linux 6 months ago, so I'm not very expirienced. What exactly do you mean with modesetting? But atm I've switched back to Kernel 4.19. A Reddit User suggested this. I use the Laptop a few hours so see if it helped at all. Before there were also some periods of 3 - 4 hours without glitching, I have no idea how to reproduce it.

modesetting is using the kernels built in driver.
xf86-video-intel is another video driver. you can install it with pamac (add / remove software)

Already have it installed + mesa.

atm I try to stress the GPU and seriously try to get glitches, so far nothing. Maybe it's a little bit too early, but the Kernel change to 4.19 seems to be the answer.

1 Like

Dells are well made and robust, thus expect this issue to be firmware and configuration.

Graphics:  Device-1: Intel Skylake GT2 [HD Graphics 520] vendor: Dell Latitude E7470 
           driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.5 driver: intel unloaded: modesetting 
           tty: N/A 
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 520 (Skylake GT2) 
           v: 4.5 Mesa 19.1.3 direct render: Yes 

Graphics:  Device-1: Intel UHD Graphics 620 vendor: Dell driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.5 driver: modesetting resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
           Message: Unable to show advanced data. Required tool glxinfo missing.

I installed using non-free, during my Latitude install and not experienced any issues since. As the modeseting and other firmware for the graphics were included.

Please note message in your print out "Unable to show advanced data. Required tool glxinfo missing".

glxinfo is included in the MESA package and modeseting can be set manually.

I'm assuming you have updated your new install with the sudo pacman -Syu command, then rebooted.?

glxinfo seems to be part of mesa-demos, not the mesa package. With it installed, this is my outcome:

OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics (Whiskey Lake 3x8 GT2) v: 4.5 Mesa 19.1.3 direct render: Yes 

I've runned pacman -Syu mutltiple times since then. I'm used to it from my Arch Desktop.

I'm not sure what you mean with the modesetting thing.

User was already using intel ... in order to switch to the newer modesetting all that is required is to uninstall xf86-video-intel .. then the system will use modesetting automatically

So this was fixed by moving to 4.19? If so please report it to https://bugzilla.kernel.org/ so it can be fixed

Before that, I'll switch back to 5.2 and see if the glitches came back. Maybe I've changed something else that does the trick or maybe it is a hardware issue and I'm just lucky.

Dont have it installed. Only the mesa package seems to be installed rn.

Update: After 24+ Hours without problems on 4.19, I've switched back to 5.2 and almost instantly got glitches again. Then back to 4.19 and no problems so far.

I'm sure the problem is kernel related, so this thread can be closed and I will send a bugreport.

hmm, his inxi says:

driver: modesetting

? So, is it installed now or not?

Sry, Ive installed and removed so much in a short period of time, that I was confused about the current state. Atm with no problems I'm running only mesa, xf86-video-intel is not installed

oh looks like you are right - I thought I saw the normal failed.. line for when it isnt loaded .. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Hi,

I'm pretty sure it's not related to Intel Drivers, it must be sth else.
Why do I say that?
Because I have the exact same thing on my Lenovo Thinkpad E585 which sports AMD graphics. Also happens in 5.1 / 5.2, doesn't happen in earlier kernels. Seems to mainly affect browsers (heavily triggered by scrolling, independent of hardware acceleration on or off) for me. But then I have been using browsers more then anything else lately.

How about smooths crolling on/off? I had to set it to off to make scrolling a lot more pleasant.

That's something I also tried, but it did not help.

The image almost always collapses during scrolling, but not only during scrolling. Actually it's a real pain to use the machine on the new kernels :-/

Forum kindly sponsored by