SbK Mate-Compiz 24.1.0

I am happy to announce the release of SbK Mate-Compiz 24.1.0.

The SpinsbyKilz.com watermark is not present in the installed OS.

A minimal iso with a panel instead of a dock is available.

All iso’s in this release include:

1. The 6.6.52 LTS kernel.
  2. Compiz 9 with the rotating cube for virtual desktops, faded windows in the background, wobbly windows, and other effects.
  3. The New KoraSpin-Mint14 icon theme with light and dark versions of the control icons. It is part of the KoraSpin-24.1.0 package.
  4. The new SpinThemeDarkMint17 matching Gtk and Kvantum themes in one package.
  5. The new Usplash-24.1.0 desktop wallpapers. One of them is the background for the grub, desktop, and login screen backgrounds.
  6. A basic Conky with matching color theme.
  7. The iso’s are up to date as of 10/4/2024
  8. An optional Firefox theme, SbK Dark Mint17 that matches the color scheme is available here, Firefox Themes just click on the image in Firefox to install it.

All iso’s also contain the standard SbK features.

1. The latest LTS kernel.
  2. A Manjaro stable install that is also AUR compatible. In the full iso there are also a lot of packages used to build packages installed. AUR packages are not supported by Arch or Manjaro.
  3. It is multiarch by default to make running wine games and other 32bit software you may run easier.
  4. The Spins by Kilz signed repository is enabled for SbK project packages.
  5. A signed iso. For information on checking signed iso’s visit Check ISO
  6. Bloatware has been removed (HP printer software and others).
  7. Flat packs and snaps are not installed. The back ends are also not installed but can be installed by the user.
  8. All SbK iso’s contain Manjaro Architect script in case you want to do a custom install. To get any SbK packages like themes, icons, and other goodies you will have to add the SbK Repository after install.
  9. Timeshift autosnap installed. It takes a snapshot before upgrading so any bad upgrades can be easily reversed.
  10. A basic Conky with a color scheme to match the other themes.

A full and very minimal iso can be found here.

As always comments, questions and suggestions are always welcome.

Jim

3 Likes

Hey Jim,
Thanks for the new ISOs :). When is it save to upgrade? Would it help to create a source package which compiles on the usres machine, so you don’t hhave to do the heavy lifting all the time?

Sorry it has taken me a few days to reply, had some health issues and finally got home.
The iso’s that I release with the SbK project are rolling release, just like Manjaro that they are based on. As long as you keep updating an install it doesnt need replacing. The releases are more for new installs so you dont have to upgrade tons of packages.
If you want the theme its in the repository.

Hi Jim, i hope you doing better now. Yeah, I am running this install for 10 Months, partly thanks to timeshift. If I do an upgrade at this moment, compiz does not start.

The SbK repository host is back, but its a frozen snapshot I cant upload new packages to. My backup host isnt good for you from experience. You can wait a few days and hope the main host comes back, or you can try building compiz yourself. Here is a link to the package to build. AUR (en) - compiz
If you find building the package dosent help, you may have other issues. A new install my be the easiest way to get back to normal.

Hi Jim, waiting is no problem, compiling myself most likely is one :). Can i help by renting a VPS Server to mirrior the SBK?

Actually compiling aur packages isnt that hard, and worth a shot. You can even turn the aur on in pamac preferences, third party tab. It makes it much easier.
Dont really want to have parts of the project owned by other people, its a security concern. The internet is anonymous, and its hard to be sure. If I could get a few people to subscribe to the buy me a coffee button on the SbK website I could move to paid hosting. But so far I have had only one donor in about a year.