SbK Mate-Compiz 21.1.3 updated release

I am very pleased to announce the release of SbK Mate-Compiz 21.1.2. So far this is the best of the 21.1.2 series.

The 21.1.2 release was made the day before a big update and a move to 21.1.3 by Manjaro. This is an update release for new installs. Those with the 21.1.2 release installed will have the same package base at this point.

Both iso’s in this release include:

1. The 5.10.63 LTS kernel.
  2. Compiz 9 with the rotating cube for virtual desktops, faded windows in the background, wobbly windows, and other effects.
  3. The New FlatRemixSpin-Silver icon theme with light and dark versions of the control icons.
  4. The new KvSpinDarkSilver matching Gtk and Kvantum themes in one package.
  5. The new Usplash-21.1.2 desktop wallpapers. One of them is the background for the grub, desktop, and login screen backgrounds.
  6. A basic Conky with matching color theme.
  7. Lots of updates since the 21.1 release. The iso’s are up to date as of 9/18/2021.

Both iso’s also contain the standard SbK features.

1. The latest LTS kernel.
  2. A Manjaro stable install that is also AUR compatible. In the full iso there are also a lot of packages used to build packages installed.
  3. It is multiarch by default to make running wine games and other 32bit software you may run easier.
  4. The Spins by Kilz signed repository is enabled for SbK project packages.
  5. A signed iso. For information on checking signed iso’s visit the Checking page.
  6. Bloatware has been removed (HP printer software and others).
  7. Flat packs and snaps are not installed. The back ends are also not installed but can be installed by the user.
  8. All SbK iso’s contain Manjaro Architect script in case you want to do a custom install. Sadly to get any SbK packages like themes, icons, and other goodies you will have to add the SbK Repository after install.
  9. Timeshift autosnap installed. It takes a snapshot before upgrading so any bad upgrades can be easily reversed.

A full and very minimal iso can be found here.

As always comments, questions and suggestions are always welcome.

Jim

1 Like

:+1: Thanks for all your great work! :+1:

Could you do me a favour and in Spins create a landing page that links to the latest LXQT and Mate etc desktops so I can link them in the N00b tutorial too?

Or do you prefer me linking directly to the OSDN storage bypassing TuxFamily?

:thinking:

The OSDN site is mainly for storage, so it wouldnt be a good option to send newbies to. A landing page on the spins site showcasing the latest spins is a good idea. My html skills are not the best, but I should be able to make one with Blue Griffin.

1 Like

I made a page on the website that will point to the current releases. Its not much, but its better than nothing. Web design isnt my strong point. The web hosting came with the repository and I just put up something and forgot about it. As time goes on I am finding its a nice resource.

N00b tutorial updated to include this now:

• Linux has different Desktop Environments (DE):
    • XFCE: Lightweight, simple, best for beginning users
    • KDE: lots of bells and whistles, good for recent and powerful hardware and people who like to tinker! :hammer_and_pick:
    • Gnome: Simple, the default for lots of distributions
    • Cinnamon: Gnome like it should be Beefed-up Gnome with more bells and whistles.
    • Lxqt: comparatively low resource requirements. This makes it especially suitable for use on older resource-constrained computers.
    • Mate: The MATE Desktop Environment is the continuation of GNOME 2. It provides an intuitive and attractive desktop environment.

In a :chestnut: anything not official and that I’ve heard of is now linking to you!

:bowing_man:

Thanks! For almost 18 years I have been running linux. I have used all of those desktops at some point, and some that are not on the list. SbK is my way of giving back to the linux community. The more people who find one of my spins and try/use it, the better.

1 Like

I’ve only ever used KDE, Unity, Cinnamon and back to KDE now, but I’ve tried LXDE and XFCE too (each for about an hour or 2)

:grin:

I could never run KDE for more than a couple of months. 4 was just to different than Gnome2 that I started with and ran for the longest. 5/plasma is very nice, but its themes are very hard to create, and I usually give up on it. Lxqt is now my desktop, has been for a couple of years. I like to give its spins a little extra if I can because there were so few themes for it when I started using it.

1 Like