SbK KDE 18.1.5

This spin started as just an update release to include improvements made to other releases since 18.1.3. But it quickly evolved to including some nice additions not found in some of the other spins.

This release has:

1. The 5.4.6 lts linux kernel.
  2. Timeshift autosnap installed. It takes a snapshot before upgrading so any bad upgrades can be easily reversed.
  3. The KDE splash screen is disabled by default to improve desktop loading times.
  4. Improved font rendering.
  5. KDE 5.17
  6. It uses the Latte dock ,with the places widget installed, instead of panels.
  7. Plasma effects such as exploding and wobbly windows. It also has a vertical rotating cube to switch between desktops (ctrl+alt and R or L arrow).
  8. DarkSpin-kde, a dark gray theme based on Breeze. The complimentary Gtk theme has had a few improvements.
  9. A new sddm theme to go with the default theme.
  10. 16 new wallpapers that work with the DarkSpin theme can be found in /usr/backgrounds/usplash/Blue.
  11. Multiarch by default.
  12. It uses the SbK signed repository for SbK specific packages.
  13. Flat packs and snaps are not installed. The back ends are not installed but can be installed by the user.
  14. Other bloatware has been removed (Hp printer software and others).
  15. Lots of package updates since the 18.1.3 release.

A full and very minimal iso can be found here

Ass always comments, suggestions, and requests are welcome, just leave them below.

Jim

5 Likes

I am building the Xfce-Compiz 18.1.5 iso's as I write this so all the SbK spins will be at the same release point and all will have the improvements that come with 18.1.5.

1 Like

Running your kde spin live
Cannot update. Invalid or corrupted database. Please
advise how to proceed.
Nice looking gui..

It sounds like there was a bad download of a package database.
Open a terminal and type or copy/paste these commands

sudo rm /var/lib/pacman/sync/**

sudo pacman -Syy

If you are using Pamac you will have to refresh its package database, click on the settings in the upper right corner, then Refresh Database.

I downloaded the iso again and evrything updates beautifully.
Interesting that Falkon does not support gmail. Installed Chromium, works well.

Sounds like you had a bad iso download. Did you check the md5sum of the file you downloaded? Falcon is more of a place holder and gives the user a browser to get help in case something goes wrong in the beginning. People are very attached to a specific browser and its very likely it would be replaced no matter which one I would replace it with.

1 Like

Yep, Microsoft Edge (soon)...

Seriously though, I don't use Firefox if I can avoid it and that browser is bundled with nearly all Linux distributions these days. Falkon could be a good browser in the future but right now, it's about as much use as a chocolate fireguard. Many such services are blocked on it or don't recognise it to begin with even though underneath it's Chromium engine.

There is also the size of the browser to consider. I would rather not make the iso file bigger for something that is likely to be replaced. Chromium is just about as big. At one point I even considered Konqueror for KDE spins. But its rather old.What browser do you think would work well?

Stick with Falkon for exactly that reason, it should improve since it's under the KDE umbrella these days. I was agreeing with you by the way

I thought you were agreeing, but wasnt 100% sure. Glad you replied. Feedback in whats in a spin is important.

Forum kindly sponsored by