SbK Cinnamon 18.1.5

Just get the new iso when you can.

9422cf9c8bfc2ff1ffc8415bc0bd7344 sbk-manjaro-cinnamon-18.1.5-1-stable-full-x86_64.iso

Will do straightaway, thanks, I'll keep you posted! 15:45 Saigon time: downloaded and installed in a VM on my work Macbook Pro. No real issues (except me not having enough RAM left to run it comfortably). I like the setup indeed, although I prefer the usage of at least one full size panel (usually at the top) and a separate dock with applications and a trashcan at the bottom. The top panel only shows the application launcher, time, sound control and network, plus the once off notification. Plus the Places applet. I saw you basically had all those items also, but then in your dock. But, enuff said, tonight I'll check whether it actually works on my SP4, but usually that works out fine, once I've been able to get it up and running in a VM. Back later.

Thanks for the feedback. I have uploaded a fixed 18.1.5 minimal iso as well.
Docks are a feature os SbK spins. You can add a panel if you wish in the settings menu panel settings. But give the dock a try by itself first, you may find it does everything you need and more.
On a side note, I am looking for a replacement dock for this spin. I like cairo-dock, but since its a dead project it will need to be replaced at some point. Right now Plank is looking like a good candidate.

Unfortunately no success:

[manjaro@manjaro-mate ~]$ cairo-dock -c
warning : (/build/cairo-dock/src/cairo-dock-core-3.4.1/src/implementations/cairo-dock-egl.c:gldi_register_egl_backend:232)
Cairo-Dock was not built with EGL support

============================================================================
Cairo-Dock version : 3.4.1
Compiled date : Jun 3 2018 08:34:09
Built with GTK : 3.22
Running with OpenGL: 0

warning : (/build/cairo-dock/src/cairo-dock-core-3.4.1/src/gldit/cairo-dock-module-manager.c:gldi_module_new_from_so_file:160)
while opening module '/usr/lib/cairo-dock/libcd-Recent-Events.so' : (libzeitgeist-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
g_file_test: assertion 'filename != NULL' failed
g_file_test: assertion 'filename != NULL' failed

(cairo-dock:2289): Gtk-WARNING **: 13:49:22.197: Theme parsing error: :7:1467: The :insensitive pseudo-class is deprecated. Use :disabled instead.

(cairo-dock:2289): Gtk-WARNING **: 13:49:22.197: Theme parsing error: :7:3649: The :inconsistent pseudo-class is deprecated. Use :indeterminate instead.
warning : (/build/cairo-dock/src/cairo-dock-core-3.4.1/src/gldit/cairo-dock-keybinder.c:init_object:358)
Couldn't bind 'F1' (Applications Menu: Show/hide the Applications menu)
This shortkey is probably already used by another applet or another application
warning : (/build/cairo-dock/src/cairo-dock-core-3.4.1/src/gldit/cairo-dock-keybinder.c:init_object:358)
Couldn't bind 'F2' (Applications Menu: Show/hide the quick-launch dialogue)
Couldn't bind 'L' (Log out: Lock the screen)
Couldn't bind 'F12' (Log out: Show the logout menu)
Couldn't bind 'F7' (Notification Area Old: Show/hide the systray)
Couldn't bind 'Return' (Control from keyboard: Enable/disable the keyboard control of the dock)
Couldn't bind 'F8' (Clipboard history: Pop-up the items menu)
Couldn't bind 'F3' (Sound Control: Show/hide the Sound menu)
_cd_find_volume_name_from_drive_name: assertion 'pDrive != NULL' failed

Must be something specific to the SP4 I guess, since it ran fine in a VM on a Macbook Pro (from 2013)

Sadly it looks to be an upstream Cairo-Dock issue and since that project is pretty much dead (last commit was in 2016) there isnt much hope it will be fixed. I will be replacing the dock at some point.

Okay mate, no worries, thanks for the effort anyway!

After thinking about it, I will be making a new Cinnamon release with a new dock next. I was going to work on the spins themes, but a working Cinnamon desktop is more important. It may take a few days and when its released I will message you.

Great! Looking forward to it! And indeed, Plank might be a good alternative. I am currently using that (and Conky) on Manjaro Cinnamon.

I have a pretty good plank setup for the dock, but I cant seem to get a system tray for it. I am debating if a dock without a system tray is enough. The application menu is also right click, which is counter intuitive. The other option would be docky, but it has issues and no dock. This build may take a few more days than planed.
A last option is making a Cinnamon iso with panels and no dock in addition to the ones with a dock. That way if the dock does not show the end user has options.

Right, indeed. Perhaps Latte? I had it running in Cinnamon also, might be that has the features you look for. I didn't use it extensively because i switched to Plank. For me it is more a 'favorites' launcher (a dock) than anything else. Of course a 'clean-panel' Cinnamon is great (at least with this styling, anti-aliasing and less applications, but to make it stand out from the crowd I would then only make a minimal ISO like that. More like a pre-configured Architect Cinnamon?

After about two days of looking for another dock solution I have come to the conclusion that cairo-dock is the best choice. All the others have missing system trays and components that make up a good dock. Not that cairo-dock is perfect, far from it, but it at least has whats necessary to replace a panel.

So I am building a Cinnamon minimal iso with the panel. It will be configured as the modern panel which has elements of a dock in it. I will have all the other features and style of the dock version. In the end it solves the issue of people who cant run the dock, while keeping my standards for what is acceptable in place. Better a fully functional good looking panel than a half baked, buggy, and incomplete dock.

Looking forward to it, thanks for all the effort!

The panel iso has been uploaded, you can find it with the link in the first post of this thread.

Great, I'll let you know straight away tonight. For comparing I will also download the minimal dock iso and see if it works. Thanks!

So, the first impressions:

• The dock version does install now (making a network connection in the VM, which it previously did not). Nevertheless, at least on my hardware, no dock is present before or after installation.
  • The panel version installs and boots fine, no issues whatsoever in the VM. It looks like a plain, vanilla Cinnamon desktop and functions as such.

But: the minimal concept is really great (at least for me):

• I am a 'standard' user of both Firefox and Balena Etcher
  • Although I prefer Tixati the inclusion of Deluge as BT client is great (my second best)
  • No Office suite gives the ultimate freedom also
  • After recent issues I've switched from VLC to SMPlayer so no standard videoplayer is great
  • I don't recall checking for a music player but i believe none is included, which is great because I usually install Quod Libet and MusicBrainz Picard
    So all in all a great spin. I will tweak the VM to my liking (adding Plank as my preferred dock etc) and get back to you in the coming days. As it is this is indeed an Architect-kinda spin which I really like. Thanks :+1:

Thanks for the feedback, On what edge do you place plank?

I move the generic panel to the top and place Plank at the bottom, Since I like my screen to be as barebones as possible (empty that is) I use a dock as a quick launcher for favorites or often used functionality. Saves me one mouse click compared to opening the menu.

Sounds like a good setup I would use myself. It will likely show up in a few future releases. Right now I am finishing up a gaming edition.

This is how it currently looks, but of course the background changes every now and then ;- )

1 Like

Nice conky setup. I would like to add conky to all the desktops. I am just not sure how much info it will show on a base install.

Forum kindly sponsored by