SbK Cinnamon 18.1.5

I am proud to announce the release of the Spins by Kilz Cinnamon 18.1.5-1 release!

It features

1. The 5.4.6 kernel
  2. Multiarch by default.
  3. 11 new wallpapers to match the grey theme.
  4. No flatpacks or snaps.
  5. Removed a lot of bloat like the HP software.
  6. Lots and lots of updated packages since the 18.1.2 release.
  7. A signed repository for all the projects packages.
  8. A grey gtk theme and a similar Kvantum theme (KvCinnamonDark) for qt apps.
  9. Improved font rendering.
  10. Firefox is the browser for 18.1.5-1. An updated screenshot will be posted shortly.

A full and very minimal can be found here.

This will likely be the last desktop for the project because I am not familure with the others Manjaro releases. So far its Lxqt, Mate, Xfce, Cinnamon, and KDE. Im not sure if KDE will have another release because it only had 10 downloads. Please comment below if you think it should have another release.

Any suggestions are welcome. Enjoy!

JimB

Edit: Changed to 18.1.5-1 to reflect an updated iso.

2 Likes

Downloads don't mean much.
Installed Xfce over two years back and still going on a rolling release. Likely it will out live me before I have to do another Manjaro install.
Just Saying...

True to a user downloads dont matter much, but it takes time to build a spin. Downloads to me appear to be a gauge of if a spin is worth making.

I have decided to build the KDE spin and see how it is received. Its looking real real good. It is uploading now.

2 Likes

Well, as a big fan of Cinnamon I will certainly give this one a good test. Appreciate all the time you are putting in, keep up the good work!

I am still a fan of Cinnamon. I used it for years when I ran Linux Mint. So it was easy to build. Please let me know what you think after you have used it. Feedback is important to improve the spins.

1 Like

Will do, I will install it today in a VM and start tinkering with it :wink: Back later!

Decided to install on a spare partition. Booting up worked fine; only panel, dock or application launcher not visible. So I'll look around the forums for the right keyboard shortcut for that. It is an intrisical part of the Cinnamon DE though ;-). Cannot see the Cairo dock either. But enough to trigger my attention anyway! Thnks, I'll be back

Was the dock visible when booting into the live install? Sadly I had to use a third party dock for Cinnamon as the panel length isnt adjustable.

Nope, it was not, even though I moved my mouse to all corners/edges of the screen (in case autohide was on). Didn't show. But I'll give it another try soon and temporarily disconnect my second display. Keep you posted.

Did you download the full or minimal iso? Im going to download it and see if there is anything wrong with the file. Did you check the md5sum of the download?

The keyboard shortcut for the terminal is ctl+alt & t . When it opens try typing in cairo-dock and see if it starts. Let me know if it errors.

It is the full Iso, and I did check the md5sum. Great minds think alike so I just did what you described already and I attach a screenshot of the Cairo error. https://i.imgur.com/ZbozJFp.png

Sadly my old eyes are having trouble seeing the text in the screenshot. Would you please copy it and either paste it into a txt file and attach it or paste it as code here.

I know the feeling... Although the aliased fonts are really good already :wink: here you go:

[manjaro@manjaro-cinnamon ~]$ cairo-dock
warning : (/build/cairo-dock/src/cairo-dock-core-3.4.1/src/implementations/cairo-dock-egl.c:gldi_register_egl_backend:232)
Cairo-Dock was not built with EGL support
warning : (/build/cairo-dock/src/cairo-dock-core-3.4.1/src/implementations/cairo-dock-glx.c:_initialize_opengl_backend:129)
couldn't find an appropriate visual, trying to get one without Stencil buffer
(it may cause some little deterioration in the rendering) ...

============================================================================
Cairo-Dock version : 3.4.1
Compiled date : Jun 3 2018 08:34:09
Built with GTK : 3.22
Running with OpenGL: 1

warning : (/build/cairo-dock/src/cairo-dock-core-3.4.1/src/gldit/cairo-dock-utils.c:cairo_dock_launch_command_sync_with_stderr:260)
No value set for `/desktop/gnome/interface/font_name'

g_file_test: assertion 'filename != NULL' failed

(cairo-dock:1953): Gtk-WARNING **: 14:50:10.972: Theme parsing error: :7:1467: The :insensitive pseudo-class is deprecated. Use :disabled instead.

(cairo-dock:1953): Gtk-WARNING **: 14:50:10.972: Theme parsing error: :7:3649: The :inconsistent pseudo-class is deprecated. Use :indeterminate instead.
Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/local.conf", line 1: XML or text declaration not at start of entity
warning : (/build/cairo-dock/src/cairo-dock-core-3.4.1/src/gldit/cairo-dock-keybinder.c:init_object:358)
Couldn't bind 'F1' (Applications Menu: Show/hide the Applications menu)
This shortkey is probably already used by another applet or another application
warning : (/build/cairo-dock/src/cairo-dock-core-3.4.1/src/gldit/cairo-dock-keybinder.c:init_object:358)
Couldn't bind 'F2' (Applications Menu: Show/hide the quick-launch dialogue)
Couldn't bind 'L' (Log out: Lock the screen)
Couldn't bind 'F12' (Log out: Show the logout menu)
Couldn't bind 'F7' (Notification Area Old: Show/hide the systray)
Couldn't bind 'Return' (Control from keyboard: Enable/disable the keyboard control of the dock)
Couldn't bind 'F8' (Clipboard history: Pop-up the items menu)
Couldn't bind 'F3' (Sound Control: Show/hide the Sound menu)
_cd_find_volume_name_from_drive_name: assertion 'pDrive != NULL' failed'

I have looked into it and I will likely have to rebuild the iso. Strangely it works with my very very old hardware (FX 4330 and 560 ti).
To help pinpoint it, can you try cairo-dock -c to launch the dock?

Also when I rebuild the iso would you be willing to test it before I formally release it? Also what graphics card are you using?

Lastly would you try installing the proprietary graphics driver? Use the manjaro-settings-manager from the terminal to make it easier.

Okay, done so and here's the output of cairo-dock -c:

[manjaro@manjaro-cinnamon ~]$ cairo-dock -c
warning : (/build/cairo-dock/src/cairo-dock-core-3.4.1/src/implementations/cairo-dock-egl.c:gldi_register_egl_backend:232)
Cairo-Dock was not built with EGL support

============================================================================
Cairo-Dock version : 3.4.1
Compiled date : Jun 3 2018 08:34:09
Built with GTK : 3.22
Running with OpenGL: 0

warning : (/build/cairo-dock/src/cairo-dock-core-3.4.1/src/gldit/cairo-dock-utils.c:cairo_dock_launch_command_sync_with_stderr:260)
No value set for `/desktop/gnome/interface/font_name'

(cairo-dock:2358): Gtk-WARNING **: 15:20:50.090: Theme parsing error: :7:1467: The :insensitive pseudo-class is deprecated. Use :disabled instead.

(cairo-dock:2358): Gtk-WARNING **: 15:20:50.090: Theme parsing error: :7:3649: The :inconsistent pseudo-class is deprecated. Use :indeterminate instead.
Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/local.conf", line 1: XML or text declaration not at start of entity
Couldn't bind 'F1' (Applications Menu: Show/hide the Applications menu)
Couldn't bind 'F2' (Applications Menu: Show/hide the quick-launch dialogue)
Couldn't bind 'L' (Log out: Lock the screen)
Couldn't bind 'F12' (Log out: Show the logout menu)
Couldn't bind 'F7' (Notification Area Old: Show/hide the systray)
Couldn't bind 'Return' (Control from keyboard: Enable/disable the keyboard control of the dock)
Couldn't bind 'F8' (Clipboard history: Pop-up the items menu)
Couldn't bind 'F3' (Sound Control: Show/hide the Sound menu)

(cairo-dock:2358): Gtk-WARNING **: 15:20:50.301: drawing failure for widget 'GtkWindow': invalid value (typically too big) for the size of the input (surface, pattern, etc.)
_cd_find_volume_name_from_drive_name: assertion 'pDrive != NULL' failed

And here's my neofetch:

Host: Surface Pro 4 D:0B:08F:1C:03P:38 Kernel: 5.4.6-2-MANJARO
Uptime: 2 mins
Packages: 1191 (pacman)
Shell: bash 5.0.11
Resolution: 2560x1440
DE: Cinnamon 4.4.5
WM: Mutter (Muffin)
WM Theme: Marwaita (Flat-Remix-GTK-Blue-Darkest)
Theme: Marwaita Dark [GTK2/3]
Icons: Flat-Remix-Red-Dark [GTK2/3]
Terminal: gnome-terminal
CPU: Intel i5-6300U (4) @ 3.000GHz
GPU: Intel Skylake GT2 [HD Graphics 520]
Memory: 1677MiB / 3863MiB
CPU Usage: 20%
Disk (/): 32G / 109G (31%)

So also not the latest hardware. Secure boot is disabled btw. Of course I'd like to test, my pleasure!
Have to be aware of the timing, since I am in Vietnam and cannot really test during the 'workday'. But great to do so anyway!

Ok, I think I have a fix for some if not all of the errors.

If you can edit /usr/share/gtk-3.0/settings.ini to read

[Settings]
gtk-icon-theme-name = Mint-X-Dark-Grey
gtk-theme-name = Mint-Y-Dark-Grey
gtk-font-name = Ubuntu Semi-Bold 11

It might take loging out/in on the live media to take effect.
Testing is on your time table, to me a couple of days really dont matter as long as it ends up making the release better. I will message you here with a link when its built.

Its off to church for me, be back in a bit.

I forgot, there is a space in /etc/fonts/local.conf at the top of the file before <?xml version="1.0"?> please remove it.

I have gotten rid of a lot of the errors, but some have to do with the fact cairo-dock has been a dead project for years. I am building a iso now and should have it ready soon. If this fails I am going to have to find another dock for the Cinnamon build because one of the projects goals is to use docks instead of panels.

Okay, I am briefly back online again. You'd like me to do the edits later on anyway or shall I wait for the new ISO first? W/r to docks: I am using Plank myself, within Cinnamon and it is pretty much okay. Latte is the other obvious option of course.

Forum kindly sponsored by