Dolphin - weird trash bug

I am having a strange bug with trash.
If I try to delete a file in trash by selecting it and pressing the delete key, I get the error “Changing the attributes of files is not supported with protocol trash”
screenshot: files.catbox.moe/o5vi65.png

If I select a folder in trash and press the delete key, I get the error “Creating folders is not supported with protocol trash”
screenshot: files.catbox.moe/zjqv8z.png

However, if I shift+delete or just simply right click and select delete from the context menu, then I can delete either normally from trash.
What gives? I tried looking up the errors but found nothing helpful.

where files sent to trash differs depending on where you deleted files from.

run these and give results toghether with where you deleted the files from.

$ sudo cat /etc/fstab

$ lsblk -f

I deleted stuff from my root partition, other drives are not mounted. This is a fresh installation.

UUID=539F-1EE0                            /boot/efi      vfat    umask=0077 0 2
UUID=cb513c97-f6b4-4e8d-82d2-f8ef4f9f94f9 /              ext4    defaults,noatime 0 1
UUID=6c3ab8c2-c64f-49b1-b44b-77db5a38bdbc swap           swap    defaults,noatime 0 0
tmpfs                                     /tmp           tmpfs   defaults,noatime,mode=1777 0 0
NAME        FSTYPE FSVER LABEL    UUID                                 FSAVAIL FSUSE% MOUNTPOINTS
sda                                                                                   
├─sda1                                                                                
└─sda2      ntfs         Bulk2    FA1E4BCC1E4B811D                                    
sdb                                                                                   
├─sdb1                                                                                
└─sdb2      ntfs         Data2    48AAD4D9AAD4C49A                                    
sdc                                                                                   
├─sdc1      vfat   FAT32 NO_LABEL 539F-1EE0                             299.1M     0% /boot/efi
├─sdc2      ext4   1.0            cb513c97-f6b4-4e8d-82d2-f8ef4f9f94f9  410.7G     3% /
└─sdc3      swap   1     swap     6c3ab8c2-c64f-49b1-b44b-77db5a38bdbc                [SWAP]
nvme0n1                                                                               
└─nvme0n1p1 ext4   1.0   hurrr    2be752ff-e6ad-448e-8b1e-b608c0fbf055 

I can reproduce.
It might be because Delete is associated with Send to Trash, which doesn’t make sense for files already in it.

Empty Trash should be used instead for emptying it.

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=459545

1 Like

Odd. This doesn’t seem like an issue many users are having, or there’d be more people asking about it online. Looking up the first error only brings up that KDE bug report.

There are probably fewer people individually deleting files from Trash, rather than emptying the whole thing at once… :person_shrugging:

Also, there is usually not much to ask if the issue is already reported to the developer.

That’s not a bug, that’s pilot error. :wink:

• Del sends files to the trash folder. You cannot send a file to the trash folder when it’s already in there.

• Shift+Del on the other hand deletes files, i.e. removes their filename from the containing directory, and unless the file was a hard-link, it’ll then also be gone from the filesystem.

1 Like

Same thing here. Using Manjaro for about 8 years. I always double check the files in the Trash because I occasionally send files there by accident. I open the trash folder and do a quick scan and then just click “Alt+A” and delete. Never once had this error - it started after the last update.

1 Like

IMHO the system should “understand” that deleting files from the trash doesn’t mean you want to move them to the trash but delete them forever.
I think that should be normal behavior as it always has been.