Samba share not working

I am fairly new to Manjaro.only been using it since few weeks <3.I came across a problem when trying to set up samba share.

I previously used Kubuntu 17.04 and setting up samba server is very easy from dolphin manager:

However :frowning: in my case it’s not working.My setting would get reset themselves.I followed a few tips from related threads in this forum and could not fix the problem. :(:neutral_face:

I have also install kdenetwork-filesharing package as recommended.Still no idea what went wrong.

samba.conf is missing.i looked for it everywhere.

[jagadeesh@jagadeesh-pc ~]$ sudo pacman -Ss samba
[sudo] password for jagadeesh: 
extra/libwbclient 4.7.0-1 [installed]
    Samba winbind client library
extra/samba 4.7.0-1 [installed]
    SMB Fileserver and AD Domain server
community/g2sc 0.2-5
    Samba gtk2 client
community/nautilus-share 0.7.3-7 [installed]
    Nautilus extension to share folder using Samba
community/nemo-share 3.4.0-2
    Samba extension for Nemo
community/perl-crypt-smbhash 0.12-5
    Perl/CPAN Module Crypt::SmbHash : Perl-only implementation of lanman and nt md4 hash functions, for use in Samba style smbpasswd entries.
community/smb4k 2.0.2-1
    A KDE program that browses samba shares
community/thunar-shares-plugin-manjaro 0.2.0.git-3
    Thunar plugin to quickly share a folder using Samba without requiring root access (with auto-setup)
[jagadeesh@jagadeesh-pc ~]$ cd /etc/samba/
[jagadeesh@jagadeesh-pc samba]$ ls
[jagadeesh@jagadeesh-pc samba]$ cd private
bash: cd: private: Permission denied
[jagadeesh@jagadeesh-pc samba]$ su
[root@jagadeesh-pc samba]# cd private
[root@jagadeesh-pc private]# ls
[root@jagadeesh-pc private]# cd ~
[root@jagadeesh-pc ~]# cd /usr/share/samba/
[root@jagadeesh-pc samba]# ls
[root@jagadeesh-pc samba]# cd setup
[root@jagadeesh-pc setup]# ls
 ad-schema                         mmr_serverids.conf                    provision_configuration.ldif              provision_self_join_modify_config.ldif
 aggregate_schema.ldif             mmr_syncrepl.conf                     provision_configuration_modify.ldif       provision_self_join_modify.ldif
'cn=samba.ldif'                    modules.conf                          provision_configuration_references.ldif   provision_users_add.ldif
 DB_CONFIG                         named.conf                            provision_dns_accounts_add.ldif           provision_users.ldif
 display-specifiers                named.conf.dlz                        provision_dns_add_samba.ldif              provision_users_modify.ldif
 dns_update_list                   named.conf.update                     provision_dnszones_add.ldif               provision_well_known_sec_princ.ldif
 fedorads-dna.ldif                 named.txt                             provision_dnszones_modify.ldif  
 fedorads-index.ldif               olc_mmr.conf                          provision_dnszones_partitions.ldif        refint.conf                                              
 fedorads.inf                      olc_seed.ldif                         provision_group_policy.ldif               schema-map-fedora-ds-1.0                                 
 fedora-ds-init.ldif               olc_serverid.conf                     provision_init.ldif                       schema-map-openldap-2.3
 fedorads-linked-attributes.ldif   olc_syncrepl.conf                     provision.ldif                            schema_samba4.ldif
 fedorads-pam.ldif                 olc_syncrepl_seed.conf                provision_partitions.ldif                 secrets_dns.ldif
 fedorads-partitions.ldif          prefixMap.txt                         provision_privilege.ldif                  secrets_init.ldif
 fedorads-refint-add.ldif          provision_basedn.ldif                 provision.reg                             secrets.ldif
 fedorads-refint-delete.ldif       provision_basedn_modify.ldif          provision_rootdse_add.ldif                secrets_sasl_ldap.ldif
 fedorads-samba.ldif               provision_basedn_options.ldif         provision_rootdse_modify.ldif             secrets_simple_ldap.ldif
 fedorads-sasl.ldif                provision_basedn_references.ldif      provision_schema_basedn.ldif              share.ldif
 idmap_init.ldif                   provision_computers_add.ldif          provision_schema_basedn_modify.ldif       slapd.conf
 krb5.conf                         provision_computers_modify.ldif       provision_self_join_config.ldif           spn_update_list
 memberof.conf                     provision_configuration_basedn.ldif   provision_self_join.ldif                  ypServ30.ldif
[root@jagadeesh-pc setup]# cd ~

Any help would be greatly helpful.

read -

As you can see in the log,i cannot find smb.conf

Read the link…

Samba is configured in /etc/samba/smb.conf, if this file doesn’t exist smbd will fail to start.

To get started you can copy the default config file from here to

wget ";a=blob_plain;f=examples/smb.conf.default;hb=HEAD" -O /etc/samba/smb.conf

The available options are documented in the smb.conf(5) man page. Whenever you modify the file run the testparm command to check for syntactic errrors.

Arch, and thus Manjaro, does not by default set samba up for you.
They do however ship a /etc/samba/smb.conf.default file, which btw, is what that wget command downloads, just copy it to /etc/samba/smb.conf and edit it to your liking. But that’s not the end of it, you also have to add groups, set up users into those groups, etc., and last but not least, enable the services needed.

thank’s everyone.I got it working now :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.