Ryzen 7000 series

I just snapped up the most humble 7950x after not building a main PC in about 11 years. Does Manjaro have a kernel that supports this CPU properly or at all yet?

Always use the latest stable kernel for the latest hardware. Search Phoronix for more details.

1 Like

That’s a lot of good information. I will take some time and look through it. Will it boot from the kernel included in the download image though? I guess that’s the important thing.

I finally got around to building the machine and the answer is no, it doesn’t. Between this cpu/motherboard and the 4090, kernel panic with the latest installer image. Does anyone have any advice before I end up installing windows so I can have a functional machine?

I really don’t want to use windows, but I bet it will boot up.

Guess it is because of the latest nvidia card… xD Build you own installation image with the latest driver or do a manual installation like on arch. Have a look at: #contributions:tutorials

1 Like

I suppose it’s worth a try, I am not set up to build, so I will try it tomorrow. Other than adding this to profile.conf, I am not really gathering where to target a driver.

" * `kernel=` lets you set the installed kernel. Do **not** include any kernels in your package list! This setting is all you need.: 

Maybe just trying the newest kernel will work. I saw the hardware profiles for the 4000 series cards added to the recent stable channel update. That’s why I figured the card would work.

I guess, but not sure, nvidia module v515 is included on that installation image, but only since v520 that gpu is supported. So keep it simple… create the same image with the latest packages… and the newest driver should be included: v520.56.06 :wink:

Keep in mind to use a LTS kernel, because using the latest kernel will not help at all, since the driver is not baked into the kernel.

Here to compare:

1 Like

you’re talking of the new Nvidia-4090 ? If so do not expect that even the propietary nvidia-driver is actual at this early state of selling.

It is actual. Some other things might not be though. Wifi for example. I did install windows 11 last night, which is really disgusting. I need to prove my hardware works though. Windows update didn’t have the wifi driver, the gigabyte driver updater installed the wrong driver, their website also had the wrong driver, and I was able to get it from lenovo for one of their laptops. :astonished:

Anyway, the machine seems like it works. I’ll get back to trying to get linux installed. I need to drink a pot of coffee and clean first though. This place is a disaster from building a pc yesterday lol.

1 Like

I am going to try building again later. Right now I am being refused connection to the mirror. This is seems like it’s using a different mirror mist than pacman, is there a different mirror I can switch to?

--> mirror: https://manjaro.moson.eu/stable/$repo/$arch
==> Creating install root at /var/lib/manjaro-tools/buildiso/kde/x86_64/rootfs
  -> Installing packages to /var/lib/manjaro-tools/buildiso/kde/x86_64/rootfs
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core.db failed to download
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from manjaro.moson.eu : Failed to connect to manjaro.moson.eu port 443 after 206 ms: Connection refused
error: failed to synchronize all databases (download library error)
==> ERROR: Failed to install packages to new root
==> ERROR: Failed to install all packages

1 Like

I have tried the CDN77 and the danish mirror.

they both give me an error finding memtest86.
What might I be doing wrong?

Thanks!

--> Loading Packages: [Packages-Root] ...
==> Prepare [Base installation] (rootfs)
Create subvolume '/var/lib/manjaro-tools/buildiso/kde/x86_64/rootfs'
 --> mirror: https://mirrors.dotsrc.org/manjaro/stable/$repo/$arch
==> Creating install root at /var/lib/manjaro-tools/buildiso/kde/x86_64/rootfs
  -> Installing packages to /var/lib/manjaro-tools/buildiso/kde/x86_64/rootfs
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core                                          162.9 KiB   195 KiB/s 00:01 [##########################################] 100%
 extra                                        1834.7 KiB  3.00 MiB/s 00:01 [##########################################] 100%
 community                                       7.4 MiB  10.8 MiB/s 00:01 [##########################################] 100%
 multilib                                      174.6 KiB  1274 KiB/s 00:00 [##########################################] 100%
error: target not found: memtest86+-efi

Dude… it is not there… remove it from the list. Hope you have found this article: Build Manjaro ISOs with buildiso - Manjaro

1 Like

Alright, I built a couple of images. One with linux60 and one with linux515. Both booted, but between the onboard wifi (RZ616) and 2 dongles, none work for internet. Linux does see the onboard wifi as an unknown device, which is a good start. That’s a separate issue to work on though. Thanks for the solution!

Update your iso-profiles - there is a reference to a non-existing package.

If you have cloned using git - which is the recommended method - cd into the folder and run

git pull
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.