Can't login with correct credentials

Hello Board

Recently I’m experience a bug with the login screen of Cinnamon. Sometimes when I want to login after standby or monitor power saving mode and i entry my password, cinnamon says it is not correct (and yes I’m 100% sure it is correct). Even stranger, if I switch user and try to login in LightDM, it says my account is already locked - even if i enter my password only once. Furthermore, if i wait the 10 mins and try again, it still wont work. I have to reboot my system to be able to login again.
Also the on-screen keyboard wont work.

Kernel: 5.19.0-2-MANJARO
Desktop: Cinnamon v: 5.4.9

Aug 12 20:45:18 alienware cinnamon-screensaver-pam-helper[44088]: pam_unix(cinnamon-screensaver:auth): conversation failed
Aug 12 20:45:18 alienware cinnamon-screensaver-pam-helper[44088]: pam_unix(cinnamon-screensaver:auth): auth could not identify password for [tux]
Aug 12 20:45:18 alienware cinnamon-screensaver-pam-helper[44088]: pam_faillock(cinnamon-screensaver:auth): Consecutive login failures for user tux account temporarily locked
Aug 12 20:45:18 alienware cinnamon-screensaver-pam-helper[44098]: pam_faillock(cinnamon-screensaver:auth): conversation failed
Aug 12 20:45:18 alienware cinnamon-screensaver-pam-helper[44098]: pam_faillock(cinnamon-screensaver:auth): conversation failed

Any Ideas?

Edit: I figured it out. While walking with my laptop in my bag, i pressed the keys through the closed lid. This woke up the Laptop and spammed the login screen with random ‘passwords’

Can be closed.

Kernel 5.19 is an experimental kernel. Try booting into another kernel to see if the problem persists.

I hand some major issues with older kernel versions since my hardware is quite new. I’d rather be stuck with this bug than downgrade.

If you have another kernel installed at least boot into it to make sure the thats the problem. If you dont have another one, install one to check. Its a good idea to have 2 kernels installed as a backup in case of bad updates.

Tip: Search the internet for cinnamon-screensaver Consecutive login failures for user account temporarily locked

1 Like