Running steam games on Manjaro - this thread is dead. move along.

Hello,

First of all, do tell me if this is not in the right place, or is not helpful, happy to have it moved or deleted by moderators.

so I'm writing this as a tutorial for my future-self, but I thought I'd share it here in case it might help someone else.

So I usually post here using my laptop running Manjaro, in this case I'm working from my desktop which is dual booting Win10 :nauseated_face: and Manjaro :heart:.

I use Manjaro as my daily driver and for work.
I use Win10 for gaming only.

Until now, I'd not done the switch for gaming as all my attempts had failed.

tl;dr
my games disk was formatted in NTFS and didn't have proper access rights. I fixed that by making it ext4 with gparted and changing chown.

My solution

1. Select a hard drive you can format (ideally SSD)
  2. open gparted either from CLI with sudo, or from apps and provide password
  3. in a terminal, identify the drive you want by running lsblk -f: in my case, sdc with partitions sdc/sdc1 and sdc/sdc2
  4. in gparted, in top right corner, select the correct drive, BE CAREFUL as this will overwrite it. See the manual.
  5. Select each partition and delete
  6. insert new default partition with "Name" e.g. sdc1 and "Label" with a string of your choosing (in my case "SSD_512_games")
  7. Apply all operations
  8. Select drive and set a "New UUID"
  9. reboot (I had to in order for the drive to be mounted)
  10. change permissions on drive: I followed @tbg here and ran:
    sudo chown -R user:users /run/media/user/4tb
    replacing 'user' with my user and 'run/media/user/4tb' with the path to my drive
    (in my case:
    sudo chown -R geodev:users /run/media/geodev/SSD_512_Games/
    )
  11. create a new folder for steam games, it must be empty
  12. I use the default steam install on manjaro
  13. log in to steam, go to:
    Steam>Settings>Downloads>Steam Libary Folder
  14. ADD LIBRARY FOLDER
  15. Select the folder created in 10.
  16. Start installing games into that folder

Results
I'm going to list the results below and I guess I'll edit the post as I progress through my game list and move games to the correct heading (Working/Not Working/Plans).

Of course, check protondb to see if the game in questions is playable and for any fixes or help.

Working
(Games installed and running with Proton 4.11)

• Dawn of war 2 retribution (it runs but I can't access multiplayer with windows players, so I've joined a mac/linux group on steam to see if I can find other players)

Not Working
(Games installed but have problems)

• Fallout 4, goes to game launcher, when detecting hardware, says "Unidentified Video Card" and sets to Low Quality, then when I try to run, goes to a black screen, then stops.
  • Everspace, the game works and is supposed to be native according to protondb but for me it is unplayable as it is totally laggy. I'll see if I can fix somehow.
  • Shadow of war, says it's going to launch, then stops.

Plans
No more plans from me, I'm moving back to Windows for gaming.
(Games I plan to install)

• War Thunder
  • Aliens vs Predator
  • Borderlands 2
  • Morrowind
  • Oblivion
  • Skyrim
  • Rebel Galaxy
  • The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
1 Like

The only disadvantage linux has is its lack of gaming support, everything else is great about it

just in case you want out of box gaming experience using linux

Huh... never had this issue ever before on Linux on my 1 desktop and 2 laptops.

Install Steam -> Install Game -> Run game (natively or proton, though I check protondb before running non-native game)

Install Lutris -> Run script from Lutris website

A bit more complicated, but takes me maybe 1 minute more time?

Install Lutris -> Select proton as the runner -> Turn on DXVK or D9VK -> choose executable to launch game or game installer

Sometimes I leave my desktop running so that I can play Steam games remotely from my non-gaming laptop, since Steam has the amazing Steam remote play.

I play games like Guild Wars 2, FFXIV, Nier Automata, FFXII, Tales of Vesperia, Tyranny, Divinity Original Sin 1 & 2, Pillars of Eternity 1 & 2, Grim Dawn, Bioshock Infinite, Metro 2033, Metro Last Light, Borderland series, Cities Skylines, Killing Floor 1 & 2, Darkest Dungeon, Dying Light, Tomb Raider.

I'd say it is game-ready - but it depends on which games you want to play, and of course on your hardware.
Maybe it is a bit hit-and-miss, some people are more lucky than others.

If I was in your place, I wouldn't give up so quickly.
If you have an issue with a Steam/Proton game, it's always a good idea to post on Steam's github page. Solved a few problems already with the help of the people over there.
Linux gaming can only get better if people actually use Linux for gaming.

Will it be as good and easy as on Windows? Probably not.
Can it get any better than it is today? Sure!

2 Likes

It won't be 'game ready' until devs stop relying on direct x. Vulkan performance in Linux is on par with or better than windows, but that doesn't mean much if devs don't use it.

What we have now with DXVK/Proton is something of a miraculous work around. Honestly, it's amazing that it works as well as it does considering the state of gaming on Linux just a few short years ago. With that said, anyone expecting to achieve the same performance as on windows is barking up the wrong tree and setting themselves up for disappoinment. These games aren't running natively, they shouldn't be running at all! A performance hit is to be expected as is some general tweaking on a game by game basis. And of course, some just won't run at all.

I don't think I've ever seen anybody claim that Linux is 'game ready', but credit should be given where credit is due for the rate of improvement we've seen over the last couple of years; compatibility and performance are getting better with each update.

I also can't help but observe, with only four hours between your first and second posts, you sure gave up on this 'experiment' quick.

well its game ready
as many Linux native games run well.
and for games using wine well we cant say they are linux part

I've come across one or two native Linux games that actually perform worse than the windows version being run through proton. Sad but true.

Of course, I agree that Linux is game ready in the sense that the tools are there for developers, many just aren't very good at using them :sweat_smile:

Forum kindly sponsored by