First of all, do tell me if this is not in the right place, or is not helpful, happy to have it moved or deleted by moderators.
so I'm writing this as a tutorial for my future-self, but I thought I'd share it here in case it might help someone else.
So I usually post here using my laptop running Manjaro, in this case I'm working from my desktop which is dual booting Win10 and Manjaro .
I use Manjaro as my daily driver and for work.
I use Win10 for gaming only.
Until now, I'd not done the switch for gaming as all my attempts had failed.
my games disk was formatted in NTFS and didn't have proper access rights. I fixed that by making it
gparted and changing
- Select a hard drive you can format (ideally SSD)
- open gparted either from CLI with sudo, or from apps and provide password
- in a terminal, identify the drive you want by running
lsblk -f: in my case,
- in gparted, in top right corner, select the correct drive, BE CAREFUL as this will overwrite it. See the manual.
- Select each partition and delete
- insert new default partition with "Name" e.g.
sdc1and "Label" with a string of your choosing (in my case "SSD_512_games")
- Apply all operations
- Select drive and set a "New UUID"
- reboot (I had to in order for the drive to be mounted)
- change permissions on drive: I followed @tbg here and ran:
sudo chown -R user:users /run/media/user/4tb
replacing 'user' with my user and 'run/media/user/4tb' with the path to my drive
(in my case:
sudo chown -R geodev:users /run/media/geodev/SSD_512_Games/
- create a new folder for steam games, it must be empty
- I use the default steam install on manjaro
- log in to steam, go to:
Steam>Settings>Downloads>Steam Libary Folder
ADD LIBRARY FOLDER
- Select the folder created in 10.
- Start installing games into that folder
I'm going to list the results below and I guess I'll edit the post as I progress through my game list and move games to the correct heading (Working/Not Working/Plans).
Of course, check protondb to see if the game in questions is playable and for any fixes or help.
(Games installed and running with Proton 4.11)
- Dawn of war 2 retribution (it runs but I can't access multiplayer with windows players, so I've joined a mac/linux group on steam to see if I can find other players)
(Games installed but have problems)
- Fallout 4, goes to game launcher, when detecting hardware, says "Unidentified Video Card" and sets to Low Quality, then when I try to run, goes to a black screen, then stops.
- Everspace, the game works and is supposed to be native according to protondb but for me it is unplayable as it is totally laggy. I'll see if I can fix somehow.
- Shadow of war, says it's going to launch, then stops.
No more plans from me, I'm moving back to Windows for gaming.
(Games I plan to install)
- War Thunder
- Aliens vs Predator
- Borderlands 2
- Rebel Galaxy
- The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt