Running out of space

I have Manjaro KDE installed.

I’m running out of space. (80% space occupied)

Can you give any suggestions on how to free up space?

I use bleachbit to clear up junk files. Drive is 80% occupied after using bleachbit regularly, everyday.

I also use the following command after every manjaro update to clear up space,

sudo paccache -rk0

so my drive is 80% occupied after using bleachbit and the above command regularly.

What else could I do to free up space?

Thanks

There are a hundred different ways you could be using your disk space. Its impossible to contrive every possible situation. Rogue directories in your HOME (which would not be automatically removed) is just one such example.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/System_maintenance

Fundamentally, if you are using a lot of space … at some point you are going to make a decision on what is important to keep or on buying extra storage.

If you cant manage to cut down your consumption - apps you dont need, photos that could be stored elsewhere, etc … then you simply need more space.

1 Like

Well, I don’t know whether the following applies to your use case, but Snap packages are a huge space consumer, so I always recommend installing the regular repo versions of packages if possible. Sometimes the regular version from the repo doesn’t work while a Snap does, and so there are cases where it’s justified, but some people install Snaps as a rule, and that’s the wrong strategy.

Other than that, if you have more than one drive in your machine, then you might want to look at the tutorial below… :arrow_down:

1 Like

I’d suggest checking du -h /var/log/journal/ and du -h /var/cache/pacman/pkg/ then posting the results here, along with sudo parted -l.

EG: I’ve had log-spamming due to using an external hard drive with VLC for playing videos and when this disk became disconnected, VLC spammed the logs whilst trying to re-establish connection. It also prevented proper unmounting of said drive from the system, which is what actually lead to the log-spamming. Took several gigs of space in the time it took me to find and stop it.

If you are using btrfs without proper maintenance - one of the symptoms is running out of space.

And the answer to the unasked question - what is proper maintenance - is - I have no idea but you may see Btrfs Maintenance - Manjaro and Btrfs - Manjaro

2 Likes

Your question cannot be seriously answered without appropriate information

Welcome to Manjaro! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1. Please read the information behind this link. It will help you to post necessary information.
  1. Please press the three dots below your post and then press the :pencil2:
  • If you give us information about your system, we can see what we’re talking about and make better suggestions.
  • You can do this by using inxi in a terminal or in console.
sudo inxi --admin --verbosity=7 --filter --no-host --width
  • Personally identifiable information such as serial numbers and MAC addresses are filtered out by this command
  • Presenting the information in this way allows everyone to be familiar with the format and quickly find the items they need without missing anything.
  1. Copy the output from inxi (including the command) and paste it into your post.
  • To make it more readable, add 3 backticks ``` on an extra line before and after the pasted text.

Have you already :mag: for your problem in the forum ? (Wisdom lies in asking → listening → reading :wink: )

2 Likes

If you have extra drives being mounted, make sure they’re being mounted in empty directories.

For example:

I had a ±70GB directory on my main SSD, which I didn’t know wasn’t empty. But I mounted something in the directory. And it showed the mount’s content, the other stuff was invisible. When I did something else, I saw the ±70GB extra stuff, and proceeded to remove it. Lo and behold! I suddenly had ±70GB extra space with nothing lost!

Moral of the story: don’t do drugs Especially not when setting up something like that. (I mean, I was sober with that happening to me?!

1 Like