Running Android apps on Pinephone - Seeking help installing AnBox on Manjaro ARM w/ Phosh?

I’m a Manjaro noob with a Pinephone, and would like some help installing AnBox on my device, which is running Manjaro ARM w/ Phosh. Could someone please supply the terminal/command line instructions for me (and others) to follow? Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Hello,

To install it:
sudo pacman -S anbox anbox-image-aarch64

Or you can do it via Add/Remove Software

Then you enable the service with:
sudo systemctl start anbox-container-manager

If no bugs came about, all should be up and running.

Alternatively you can make use of waydroid as seems to be a bit more coherent, even tho is still in early stages of development.
sudo pacman -S waydroid waydroid-image

• then add this line
binder.devices="anbox-binder,anbox-hwbinder,anbox-vndbinder,binder,hwbinder,vndbinder"

to the /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf file after rootwait or if you have /boot/boot.txt then add it in that file

• run /boot/mkscr if you had edited /boot/boot.txt
  • reboot your phone
  • start waydroid using
    sudo waydroid-start
  • for stopping it use
    sudo waydroid-stop
  • maybe you will also have to run
    pip install pyclip
  • and then
    pkexec setup-waydroid

Not quite sure as i did not test it in a whyle.
More on https://docs.waydro.id/

1 Like

Thanks @bogdancovaciu … I’m giving AnBox a shot and extra thanks for providing the WayDroid alternative option. I’ll let you know how things pan out.

UPDATE: Anbox appeared to install properly, with no error messages returned after activating the service via “systemctl” as you directed. That said, after reviewing the AnBox website, it looks like this program may not be able to help me, as there’s an app I need to obtain via the Google Play store. I could write to its developers and request something directly… would an .apk file be the right thing to request?

I am not a developer, but as far as I know you should be with some exception able to get all apps from F-Droid website.