Run commands when NIC goes up/down

I’m new to Manjaro, and new to using linux on a workstation. I’m trying to become friends with using linux with a DE.
I’ll install some virtualbox VM’s, and I want their network traffic to be routed through a vpn. My approach to this to create a bridge interface. Then make the vpn and the vm’s members of this bridge. I found an default installed application named “advanced network configuration” where I could create bridge interface. Last time I was doing something “advanced” network config in linux was with gentoo, many years ago. Then there was a way to run a command every time a interface came up or down. I want such script to be triggered by the events of up/down on this bridge. On UP I want it to connect the vpn. On DOWN I want it to disconnect the VPN. Where do I enter the commands I want it to run?
Maybe my approach is not a good way at all to do this?

second question: nat rules. Should I create nat rules using iptables commands, or is there a more prefered way for this in manjaro?

networkmanager configuration has the option:

Thanks, but my vpn doesn’t show up there. It’s managed by a company specific commandline utility. So I need to start/stop it by running a command. (I guess it could be set up using the gui in some way, I haven’t looked into what that utility does.)

Btw, your screenshot shows firewall zone. My gui does not show that option. How can I add that?

You probably need to create a dispatcher script that starts your VPN after up. It also can shut it down, while the network service stops.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NetworkManager#Network_services_with_NetworkManager_dispatcher

The Arch Wiki has some simple examples.

This shows all options and variables you can use in your script. It also shows all different actions on which a script can be run.
https://developer.gnome.org/NetworkManager/stable/NetworkManager.html

This is the connection.zone option and works only with firewalld. I believe it is only added to the KDE NM GUI. But you can use nmcli to add a connection to a zone.

Thanks. That seems to do what I’m looking for.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.