KDE suspend works, systemctl suspend not

I have added ‘systemctl suspend’ to a shortcut and it usually works. But not always. Same for executng this in the terminal.
Sometimes it does not, the log shows. Usually it works after a reboot and then after a number of succesfull suspend / resume cycles it fails a number of times and then out-of-the-blue it works again.

12:38	kernel	usb usb1: PM: dpm_run_callback(): usb_dev_suspend+0x0/0x20 returns -16
12:38	kernel	usb usb1: PM: failed to suspend async: error -16
12:38	kernel	PM: Some devices failed to suspend, or early wake event detected
14:38	kernel	xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: PM: pci_pm_suspend(): hcd_pci_suspend+0x0/0x30 returns -16
14:38	kernel	xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: PM: dpm_run_callback(): pci_pm_suspend+0x0/0x160 returns -16
14:38	kernel	xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: PM: failed to suspend async: error -16
14:38	kernel	PM: Some devices failed to suspend, or early wake event detected

The result of this failure is that the screen is black and that hard drive SDA is spinned down.
The KDE suspend function on the other hand always works (so use that!, I know). The pc is suspended, the power usage is minimized.
I am interested to know what the difference is.
Why does KDE suspend (via Appl Launcher or CTrl - Alt - Delete) always work where ‘systemctl suspend’ does not?

This is on a desktop pc with an ASUS B360M-C motherboard with a recent BIOS.

According to your log, there is a device which isn’t suspending. Plasma probably handles it differently.