RPi4 - No boot from Minimal or XFCE 19.08

Hey guys, got my first Pi today, a RPi4-4Gb!

I can format the sdcard and boot with NOOBS 3.2 no problem.

If I flash 19.08 (Minimal or XFCE) with Etcher or Rufus, I get the rainbow splash, then nothing... A black screen after the rainbow splash then "No Video Signal.".

Any ideas?

EDIT:

If it's any help, the same issue occured with Raspbian Minimal, but the device booted succefully on Rapsbian Full Desktop. I tried to ssh into the Raspbian Minimal, but no success.

EDIT#2:

Changing to 'systemctl set-default multi-user.target' on the full desktop, created the same issue. I noticed a config in NOOBS, reinstalling with hdmi-safe=1 and my TV resolution. I will update here, seems like it could be an issue with the type of TV that I have, and the default settings??

Seems the Raspberry Pi is very picky about it's monitor/display setups.

Slight variations in EDID stuff has been an issue for the RPI4.

1 Like

Ok got it, it was indeed the config file. I'm still on Raspbian Desktop for now. When I tried to edit the /boot/config.txt I got the same issue, but then edited the config file of the installation with PINN (Switched over to it during my desperation), and I finally got a screen on the TTYs!

I used:
hdmi_safe=1
hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=39
, but the resolution is not correct. At least i'll get to fix it through trial and error.

I guess some information on how to ssh into the Manjaro image or some better defaults/solution would be in order. That TV is a Toshiba 1360x768 60hz, it's not like it's some weird off-brand thing. I've been using it for 12 years!

If you can confirm that I can ssh into the image, I'll make it happen :wink:

May as well write a guide when I'm done :smiley:

If you have gone through the initial Setup guide, you can SSH into the Pi with ssh user@ip.

1 Like

Wait, no the initial setup guide does not show when I flash Manjaro Arm. I was asking if there was a way for me to ssh into it after a clean flash. Otherwise I don't have anything with me at the moment to have it display anything :frowning:

SSH is not enabled on the device until the initial setup is done, in the 19.08 images.

However, we are working on getting that done in the next release.

1 Like

Awesome! Thanks for your time, I'll keep an eye out for that!

Forum kindly sponsored by