RPi4: graphics acceleration/webgl performance?

First of all: thank you, thank you, thank you to the Manjaro ARM developers! It's much more like a "real" desktop OS than Raspbian, and my RPi4 comes very close to being usable as a daily driver for my basic needs: music, movies, email, web-based office stuff.

One question on graphics performance: in Manjaro I only get 2-4 fps when running the Aquarium test on www.webglsamples.org - roughly the same performance in Firefox and in Chromium. Running the same test on Raspbian with Chromium I get 26-28 fps.

Movies and streaming content play fairly well on Manjaro, but with slightly more frequent screen-tearing than on Raspbian. It's not a big deal, but if there's a setting I can tweak to fix this I'll do it. Or if it's a coding issue, I'll just patiently wait until it's fixed. (I'm not a coder, but happy to help with testing if that's of any use..)

As far as I know, the Raspbian people compile the browsers and drivers to be optimized for the Raspberry Pi.

We don't. We get our browsers from Arch Linux ARM, which compiles the browsers as x86 would do, just with x86 specific stuff pulled out.

Manjaro ARM relies on how far upstream is, and upstream (raspberry pi kernel devs) does not prioritize 64-bit that much.

I wonder if any hardware gpu decoding is coming into play with you getting 26-28 fps with Raspian 32 bit image. I get the same on my x64 desktop as I do with the Manjaro-ARM pi4 64bit image with the tweaks below; @14 fps. The 64 bit image does not and probably will not have gpu hardware decoding as it not a priorty for the RPi folks.

Tweaks:

sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-fbturbo.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-fbturbo~

Main Menu --> Settings --> Settings Manager --> Window Manager Tweaks --> Compositor tab
Uncheck the Enable Display Compositing box

compositing

Reboot the pi

1 Like

Ah ok, thanks for the explanation. I think I've read about 32 bit vs 64 bit kernel issues elsewhere. Oh well, it doesn't really impact my use much.

The first line is just to create a backup copy of 99-fbturbo.conf?

Correct. It will not go into gpu v3d acceleration mode with fbturbo enabled.

1 Like

It should be mv instead of cp.

1 Like

Thanks @Strit for the eagle eye. I corrected it above.

Can confirm - moving fbturbo does work to increase fps.

It doesn't really make a meaningful difference to my use, so I may revert and wait for sometime never upstream contributions to the 64 bit kernel..

Forum kindly sponsored by