[RPI2/3] Manjaro-ARM 18.06 Minimal Released

release
manjaroarm
raspberrypi

Some days ago I pushed out the 18.06 version of the manjaro-release package, making all running systems go to version 18.06.

Download here!

A new Minimal image is available for the Raspberry Pi 2 and 3.
Biggest changes to this image include:

• New way images are being created!
  • Removed networkmanager and using systemd-networkd instead.
  • Removed the entire base-devel package group. People needed it to compile stuff, can install it back with sudo pacman -S base-devel.
  • pacman 5.1!

What about other devices?

Right now, I have testing images available for the Odroid-C1 and the Odroid-C2, but the latest ones does not even boot.
I need to figure out why, and soon, as I want to have these devices supported.

We don’t support any armv6h devices, as that would require extra manpower and a bigger server hosting the repository.

Future plans

The plan for Manjaro-ARM right now, is to release new minimal images for supported devices, each month. A snapshot, like Arch Linux x86_64 does it.

Other editions might get released often, but it depends on the maintainers of those editions.
This should become easier soon, hopefully, as I have started working on our own manjaro-arm-tools to generate images from your desktop PC.

The new tools will be used until Manjaro Architect supports our ARM platform and will consist of:

• buildarmimg which will generate a .img and a .zip containing that .img.
  • buildarmpkg which will be used to create a package for an ARM platform.
  • Profiles to be used when creating the images, so you can create an image for minimal, mate, lxqt or others with a simple command. The profiles will contain all the settings and changed config files needed to give the edition the look and feel of Manjaro-ARM.

I have installed this [RPI2/3] Manjaro-ARM 18.06 Minimal and can report that, for me, all the tests required for the beta versions do pass (Call For Testers (18.06)).

From ps_mem , the RAM usage when logged in via ssh is:

Private  +   Shared  =  RAM used       Program

128.0 KiB +  72.5 KiB = 200.5 KiB       agetty
324.0 KiB + 121.5 KiB = 445.5 KiB       lvmetad
672.0 KiB +  56.5 KiB = 728.5 KiB       dhcpcd
596.0 KiB + 351.5 KiB = 947.5 KiB       bash
580.0 KiB + 399.5 KiB = 979.5 KiB       systemd-timesyncd
708.0 KiB + 440.5 KiB =   1.1 MiB       systemd-logind
712.0 KiB + 533.5 KiB =   1.2 MiB       (sd-pam)
  1.1 MiB + 146.5 KiB =   1.2 MiB       dbus-daemon
868.0 KiB + 443.5 KiB =   1.3 MiB       systemd-resolved
  1.0 MiB + 446.5 KiB =   1.5 MiB       systemd-networkd
  1.2 MiB + 402.5 KiB =   1.6 MiB       sudo
  1.4 MiB + 473.5 KiB =   1.8 MiB       systemd-udevd
  3.1 MiB +  59.5 KiB =   3.2 MiB       haveged
  1.3 MiB +   2.5 MiB =   3.8 MiB       systemd (2)
  1.1 MiB +   3.1 MiB =   4.2 MiB       sshd (3)
  5.8 MiB + 455.5 KiB =   6.2 MiB       systemd-journald
---------------------------------
                         30.3 MiB
=================================

First off: really cool to see a Manjaro-variant aimed at ARM-architecture! :smiley:

Manjaro KDE is running on 2 of my laptops and a tablet, and it’s giving me a great experience. I also have a RBP3 (model B) and am pondering whether I should install Manjaro-ARM on that as well.

Before I do so, I’m still faced with a number of questions, all boiling down to one really: what is packaged in Manjaro-ARM 18.06 image, exactly?

• Does it include a DE (like XFCE)?
  • What packages/repositories are included?
  • Are you maintaining these yourself?
  • Currently my RBP is running Arch linux ARM. Could you tell me what the differences are between Manjaro-ARM 18.06 and the Arch linux release?

I tried to find answers on the manjaro-arm.org website (including the wiki), but couldn’t find them. Perhaps I wasn’t searching well enough? :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance for your answers!

EDIT:
Right, I’ve searched through the Manjaro-ARM sub-forum a bit and found out that this ‘minimal’-release does not contain a DE. That clears up my first question :wink: It still leaves my with the question: what is the main difference to the ArchLinux Arm release? :slight_smile: Thanks!

Depends on what image you download. The minimal does not. The MATE version contains MATE.

Packages can be seen in our repository mirrors: http://mirror.strits.dk/manjaro-arm is one of them.

Packages and images are maintained by the Manjaro-ARM Team, which consists of @GrayJack, @dodgejcr and myself so far.

There is not that big of a difference if you are using the Minimal image. But if you are using a DE image (like MATE) it is very customized and manjaro’ized. The packages we maintain specificly for Manjaro-ARM is located on the manjaro gitlab.

The idea with Manjaro-ARM is to make a an Arch distro for ARM, like Manjaro did for x86, with tools to make things easier and sane defaults to have a good out-of-the-box experience.

Thanks for taking the time to respond! :slight_smile:

Since you state the Manjaro ARM minimal image doesn’t differ that much from the AL-ARM image, I’ll stick to my AL-ARM installation for now. Too much hassle completely reinstalling and setting up everything again if the end-result is more or less similar.

If I ever do (need to) reinstall my RBP, I’ll definitely grab Manjaro ARM’s minimal image though.

Again, thanks for the explanation!

No problem. Glad you are even considering it. :slight_smile:

Has this distro been tested with the RPi B3+?

Yes. And the one testing it, said it worked. :slight_smile:

I will be installing it soon then!

On RPi B3+ if I update to linux-raspberrypi-4.14.50-2 I loose the wireless interface (after reboot)(don’t know why, I see nothing relevant in dmesg)

Very odd. Since the kernel does not actually have anything to do with the wireless interface.
Make sure you have linux-firmware installed and the firmware for the rpi. These are installed by default on the rpi2 images we provide.

linux-firmware was the first I checked as it was also updated but it’s linux-raspberrypi-4.14.50-2
For now I’m keeping wlan0 by: sudo pacman -Syu --ignore linux-raspberrypi

It’s just the first pacman -Syu after installing 18.06.

Fair enough. I might update the kernel package in the next few days anyway.