RPi 3b/3b+/4b Owners

We are experimenting with the ability of having one 64 bit kernel to automatically boot the RPi's 3b/3b+/4b depending on which board you are booting up on.

We would appreciate it if some of you that have the time and like to experiment help out with testing to get all enabled in the kernel that needs to be for things to work. For example I ran across where the cpu temp did not work on the pi3b and had to enable CONFIG_BCM2835_THERMAL=y.

I have made an image for testing with using the LXQT DE with VC4/V3D enabled. This will be a good image also if some one has a pi3b/pi3b+ to use as I have a swapfile to free the ram of data not being used. I have also fixed some things in LXQT that was not working. I am using chromium browser as it has an edge over firefox with webgl.

What we have with the kernel is now in the repo (4.19.81-1). It has gpu_mem=64 in /boot/config.txt. Since being in VC4/V3D mode you may want to try gpu_mem=32 and see if it makes a little better. I tried gpu_mem=16 and it was at the threshold of not being enough so I am testing wit using 32 right now and seems to be ok so far. the gpu_mem does not need to be much when using VC4/V3D as it uses cma=256.

Download the image below burn and boot it and go through the OEM setup Then try the image on your various 64 bit pi's you have. The slower the pi is the slower things will load up initially; just wait on it. The same applyies to loading up the desktop at first; just wait for everything to load up first then the desktop navagation should be smooth, With the web the same with a web page loading up.

Advise not to use libreoffice or open multiple web pages / desktop windows while using the web browser with the 1G ram boards to conserve resources. Also a really good high speed sdcard.

Thanks in advance for anyone that has the time to help and provide input.

Here is some screen shots hots using the pi3b I used for testing:

glxgears:

Youtube:

mpv playing a 18 Mbit ATSC 1920x1280 stream:

Ray

2 Likes

:+1: for your work and efford. i've downloaded the imag and will test it these days. i'm yousing raspi's 3B. is there any special thing that should be tested and reported ? if so leave a comment. thank's for your work.

No really special testing, just do normal everyday stuff and if you run across something that does not work post here.

I got started on this venture in the beginning as there seemed to be some posts here and on irc with people with their pi3b's wanting images. They are not the best device for 64 bit but can be some what tolerable with some tweaks. The main thing that helps is getting away from mainline kernel as it will never be as good as the native RPi kernel due to their proprietary hardware and their patching to make their things either work and some things work better. Another objective is to use one kernel for all the pi devices.

Thanks for testing!!

so i tested the distro today at a raspi 3B+. First, the installation went without failure that's great. but the choosen distro lacks. if i use uppercases for the password the system will not accept them after installation. i choose a password with uppercases, the installation accept and confirm it, but after setup the password is no longer valid. i change to the console via ctrl-alt-2 and try to log in. the whole keyboard-layout doesn't match. i tried two other keyboards, but the same effect. i did a second install with a new written sd, went through the installation process with no problem but the problems occured again. the installation process works well, but there are problems with the distro itself. the distro seems to be hefty buggie. nevertheless it runs, but this is a weird problem with the keyboard-layout recognition and the password-setting. any ideas / suggestions what to check ?
there is a additional thing, the 3b+ has a nominal speed of 1.4 GHz. but as i checked with inxi -Fxz it told me the cpu has a max speed of 1.2 GHz.

The keyboard and login password I think would be a question for @Strit. I am leaning toward the oem scripts as there was some issues with it in the last week. There could be something reporting wrong with the cpu speed. I am in the middle of something and can not investige it. Could you install cpu-speed-temp if it is not installed and see what it throttles up to with it.

yes i will check it and report. i'm a little busy the next hours so i need some hours for other things. but i will recheck it and i try a second additional raspberry 3b+. i bought all of them from a official raspberry seller, but i want to make shure there is no problem with the boards itself. so far all of you did a great job.

I had time to hook up my pi3b+ and inix reported things right here.

Also with the 1G ram devices and their gpu speeds I want to point out again that 64 bit is not a good fit for them especially with VC4/V3D. But waiting for things to settle down after logging in and not loading multiple web pages and having multiple desktop pages open while using the browser and having a fast sdcard this image should be tolerable. These devices are best suited for a 32 bit OS but Manjaro ARM has discontinued support for arm7 devices.

Go here and see if you can get the right keyboard keymaps set up for yours.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Linux_console/Keyboard_configuration

By the way I am on this test image using the pi3b+ using chrominum typing this post.

This is very odd. The OEM setup simply uses passwd in the background, so it should accept all characters that regular linux distro's use.

Not sure I understand this part either. What do you mean they don't match? The OEM setup presents a list of keyboard layouts to choose from. If you choose the one that matches your connected keyboard, it should match in both TTY and X11. If you don't choose one that matches your connected keyboard, it can't magically detect which you have connected and switch it.

a short update. the problem of the console is solved. the problem was sitting in front of the screen.
i installed Viavaldi-64arm from the aur. works well, youtube is working. the system is not very responsive, but i didn't expect it, the 3B is too slow but it works.

Forum kindly sponsored by