Resurrecting an Old Btrfs System?

I'm on a Kubuntu machine right now and am interested in recovering some data from a program I'm having issues with (NOTE: it's a program thing, not a file thing or else I would grab the data from the snapshot)(I need to access a program on the old machine)

Is there any way I can resurrect the old OS from the old snapshot of @ and @home? I was thinking virtualbox or something, but I'm not sure how to do this.

Of course I could swap my current @ and @home for these, but I was more thinking of virtualization, also, I've repartitioned since the old system, so would it be as simple to just swap @ and @home?

I'm looking for some advice on how to proceed.

Thanks!

Never done anything linke this before, but I would start with installing Kubuntu in am VM, ideally from the same ISO you used for the Kubuntu install, if it still exists.

Once the VM is running, you can try to copy @ and @home into the VM.
For that you'll need a shared folder between host and VM.

However, depending on how distributed the application is, it might be good enough to just copy the actual programme folder and the respective config/data folders of the program?

Another approach could be to do a regular install of the program in your VM and only copy @home or only the data/config folders so it finds it's data.

What's the name of the program? Maybe someone here is running it?

Make the snapshots of Kubuntu bootable. Create a custom Grub entry, edit the fstab in the snapshot.

It's Clementine (Something happened with the playlists file, not entirely sure, but I think there was a version change from the one I'm using).

Just porting the data to the VM running clementine was a great suggestion.

Can't believe I didn't think of that lol

What do you mean by make them bootable?

Do you mean swap out my current @ and @home and make the old Manjaro @ and @home read-write?

Not sure how to create a custom grub entry.

Would that be something like

1. Boot on live USB
  2. "Put old Manjaro @ and @home in place of current @ and @home"
  3. mount @home using -o subvol=@home and mount @ using -o subvol=@
  4. manjaro-chroot
  5. update-grub
    ?

Thanks!

Assuming your subvolumes with Kubuntu are named @kubuntu and @kubuntu_home. A custom Grub entry would have @kubuntu instead of @ everywhere. The adjusted fstab would have @kubuntu mounted on / and @kubuntu_home mounted on /home.

Wow, I didn't even know you could do that.

Is there some program to make this entry, or do I just use vim/gedit and find and replace?

Copy a Grub entry from /boot/grub/grub.cfg to /etc/grub.d/40_custom where you can edit it to your needs. Then save and run sudo update-grub.

Forum kindly sponsored by