Restore Manjaro boot after dualbooted Ubuntu-Mate replaced grub

So, I have Ubuntu-Mate and Manjaro on separate drives. I booted up Ubuntu and updated the system which also updated grub. However, now, when I choose Ubuntu from the grub menu nothing happens. It just hangs. I am not sure if this is a drive problem or what. I am hoping that perhaps if I restore the Manjaro boot up choices, I would be able to go back into Manjaro and update it. Is there any way to do that while I am logged in to Ubuntu-Mate? Or perhaps a better way to go about this?

Boot up from the Manjaro installer medium in live mode and open up a terminal window. In this window, type the following commands… :arrow_down:

sudo su -
manjaro-chroot -a

Select your Manjaro installation from the choices offered. Next, issue the following command… :arrow_down:

nano /etc/default/grub

Find the line that says… :arrow_down:

GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=true

Change it to… :arrow_down:

GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=false

Save the file with Ctrl+O followed by Enter, and exit the editor with Ctrl+X.

Now issue the following commands… :arrow_down:

pacman-mirrors -f 5 && pacman -Syyu
grub-install --recheck --no-rs-codes
update-grub
sync && exit

It is imperative that you let all of the above commands finish. If your system hasn’t been updated for a while, then the upgrade will take some time. Do not power off the machine or press the reset button while the update process is running.

When the process has finished, you should be able to safely reboot the machine, and then GRUB should offer you the choice again to boot in either Ubuntu or Manjaro.

4 Likes

It worked! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.