Could use some guidance on setting up new install

First thing is I do have a constant issue with gui freezing & locking up the computer under certain circumstances.
I see there is a active thread on the issue. Before joining that thread I should do some housekeeping on my system

First problem is switching to a lts kernel. Running 5.14 now, have 5.10 installed but not running.
Grub is installed, but is a dual boot with win 10 & using it’s boot loader so I never see the grub menu to select the new kernel.

Seems I will have to manually edit grub.cfg? (not a good idea)
Can I use the grub mkconfig command here?
I have seen the grub menu a few times while booting. Only for 1/2 a second though … then not at all in last 20 boots. is it possible just need to edit the time the screen is shown?
Seems like there may be a simple solution to this, I just do not know it.

Tempted to just install Grub and use it’s boot loader. This machine is for my wife who uses windows. Last dual boot I gave her win 10 always complained when booting … guessing Grub was the real issue, win trying to fix it’s boot loader.

Any help or suggestions with the problem would be helpful, Thank you.

In any case tap Shift during boot to bring up grub.

As to how the boot should be managed … yes … I think you should let grub manage it, and then allow for selection of win or linux from there. It can be hidden or shown … usually it is forced-shown when there are multiple OS available. Though it would be preferable to set it up during install. :slight_smile:

Thank you, will give that a try, see if I can get there that way.

About using Grub with win 10, last attempt was a nightmare.
win was always trying to repair itself during boot, after several min it would fail then ask you to reboot again then would complete … was a 20 min process.
Then when windows updated, it would always fail trying to update the boot loader. Then it would have to revert the changes, this could take 1/2 hour 45 min to get it booted.
Only a guess on my part as I am no windows user, but believe grub was the issue.
This time around win boots fine & the wife will be happy with it.

What you describe sounds like some sort of faulty installation.
Its not how grub usually works - otherwise no one would use it.

The most common gripe, which I can attest to, is certain windoze updates overwriting the ESP or some such … which means only windoze is bootable … so that then you have to fix and reinstall the linux efi stub into the ESP (from windoze itself, or another medium like a linux usb).

Of course though … thats not really a ‘grub’ problem.

Which brings me back to a thought … maybe there is a misunderstanding here.
On an UEFI system … you can choose to have 2 separate EFI boot partitions, though most opt for one. In a dual-boot case the easiest method is to use the pre-existing ESP, but simply add the new linux boot files to it. Not format or overwrite it, just ‘use’ and ‘add’ to it.
(while installing grub to disk and letting it manage which of those boots to choose)

To be clear - this setup and others are easily available in both the automatic and manual installation methods, such as through the default calamares gui installer.

Thats very possible it was user error. Have had dual boots since win xp & never had that problem. I just assumed it was win 10 getting more advanced and trying to do things I did not want it to.
I felt that if I used Grub I would create the same situation again. I have never installed UEFI before.

Now you have me wondering how did I install the dual boot? I bought the pc refurbished from walmart, came with win10 installed. I never did re-install it.
My usual would be to use gparted to resize the disk, then use fdisk and create partitions & install gentoo on it. <---- this makes no sense. But I did it.

This is the exact same machine 3 years later, I re-installed win10 and it forced me to use UEFI. Is it even possible to have a 2 TB disk with uefi win10 installed on 1 TB, then fdisk bios partitions on 2nd 1/2 of same disk? Makes my brain hurt to even think about it. :rofl:
I just know for a fact I have never used gpt or uefi to install gentoo. Last week re-installing win10 is when learned needed uefi for it … I’m confused. Probably was my issue.
I probably should just use grub at this point now the whole drive is uefi.

shift key worked perfect and that machine is now booted with the LTS kernel.
Thank you

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.