Responsible use of AUR

Hey, guys,

Sorry if I’m being stupid or something. Couldn’t there be some way to have the AUR/pamac identify per user, instead of per helper, as it does now?

That would make a big difference in my opinion. If not,well then, just ignore me…

So basically this has nothing to do with users and their behavior other than other users blaming Manjaro users for a pamac bug?

This is silly. Mirroring is a well-established form of load-balancing. Syncing unstable from an Arch mirror is already doing exactly the same thing.

If a Manjaro tool is DDoSing an upstream service then the Manjaro tool needs to be fixed, or Manjaro needs to put in place mitigations.

It’s not up to the upstream service to support Manjaro’s use-case.

Just coming back to this,

It’s a giant collection of git repos. You could grab the package list then clone and regularly pull the whole thing. I imagine it would be about 20 lines of script.

3 Likes

Jonathon! Is that you from about 2018-2020? Hello again! Thank you for taking a part here!

Who ever told somewhat close to “it is AUR service bug”???

As I understood @Yochanan he only noted that one of suggested solution is not good by his opinion only.
I saw nobody told that it is not a pamac-related issue.

Please provide here or better in tech solution thread New Pamac search suggestion floods AUR search (#1135) · Issues · Applications / pamac · GitLab your solution suggestion in details that could be appropriate for other OS users of pamac also. Help us all including you and your users.

1 Like

I don’t develop Pamac and no longer have anything to do with Manjaro.

The point I’m making is that when your tool depends on a third-party service you’d better make damned sure you don’t take that service down. This is not simply polite, it’s in your own best interests.

That could take the form of talking to the provider of the service, contributing to its development, or just sending them money to provide for additional capacity for horizontal scaling.

Selfishly taking freely-available open-source resources for granted is the reason why projects break, and leads to the classic situation of “this is why we can’t have nice things”.

3 Likes

Jonathon, if we agree that pamac has issue and if we working to fix it and meanwhile we ask users to cool down AUR activity to minimum, when why you are still angry? You see that we are trying to fix the issue. How your fury can help pamac? May be we will fix it first and after that you can note your ideas?

May be I am just a stupid user and still do not understand simple things.

1 Like

Don’t worry it’s the typical “return to the scene of the crime” behavior of the offender, whenever something is “wrong” and is being heard about Manjaro he is here as first to lecture everyone :rofl: (I suppose this is the case again), then vanishes -or lurks- . Probably the rest of the toxic people are already violating their distro’s forum rules about disrespecting and bashing other Linux devs and distros.

In the meantime in the real, cooperative world, Arch dev practically acknowledges that the flood couldn’t be predicted as it is the summation of factors that can cause it, amongst them “other tools, AUR queries being poorly designed (there are some that trigger a full table scan), and so on” and actively looking and working on a solution with the Manjaro devs. New Pamac search suggestion floods AUR search (#1135) · Issues · Applications / pamac · GitLab

Sound like Pamac needs to be fixed NOT to search till you press enter so it does one search instead of searching while I’m typing. I for one hate search suggestions for the fact that I find them annoying.

This is being worked on, at least temporary solution (disabling autosuggest for AUR) is expected to be out tomorrow.

14 Likes

It maybe a manjaro tool like @jonathon said but pamac is the default gui package manager on several distros like rebornos and garuda just to name 2. Hell pamac is even in the aur and many users of so called terminal centric distros install pamac through the aur

Think its poor form to put all the blame on manjaro. The fact the manjaro team have acknowledged there’s an issue and are working with the aur maintainers to fix it should be commended not just criticised for causing issues

12 Likes

Actually, if looking just at number of requests, pamac running on manjaro is the biggest offender.

It eclipses, by far, everything else, specially pamac running on other distros (including Arch itself).

For the record as I imagine most people don’t bother going to the GitLab issue

11 Likes

Hi, welcome here as well :slight_smile: . No doubt about it, as with a simple check Manjaro is 2 times bigger than ArcoLinux + Garuda + EndeavourOS all combined together, if the total users number report of each distro’s forum can be considered indicative (or trustworthy enough).

2 Likes

So if i understand correctly (english not first language doesn’t help) the safier way is to built by ourself with the sources?

The way is facing very hard and long lol :slight_smile:

We are using AUR to search available packages there, its description, and beside that info, AUR stores an instructions scripts of how exactly to build a package from a package sources (which is not a part of AUR storage, but located somewhere in the Internet) and in which consequence to do it.

Just try to lower your AUR actions for now or better turn it off in pamac's settings and wait for the update before to switch it back on:

1 Like

Please - don’t.

You have a point but don’t stray from the original intention of the thread - to raise awareness on how our combined actions contribute to a voluteer service provided by the upstream source of Manjaro.

I completely agree with the points made by @jonathon as those align perfectly with the intention of the thread.

I respect upstream for the acknowledgement of a deeper issue with the AUR RPC but nonetheless we are still guests in the Arch User Repository and we should not behave like rude vandals and bullies but be responsible and do our best not to overload a repository with useless search traffic because the traffic generated is generated by users - not by Manjaro itself - but by an application.

If it is necessary to implement a different behavior in Pamac to throttle the traffic then so be it.

In the meantime - let us behave responsible - don’t cast blame in any direction but acknowledge that our actions have contributed to traffic towards AUR.

11 Likes

You do realize Manjaro has the largest userbase of all the arch based Distros, right? Don’t answer that it was rhetorical. Second you can’t use Arch as a comparison since the vast majority of them do not use Pamac.

I apologize for any misunderstanding on my side.

You do have a point and the comment was not entirely directed at you even I quoted - but generally for thread as a whole.

I don’t see the Manjaro use of AUR as offensive or offending but merely a use of wellknown public service provided by upstream Arch - and my comment was meant as an attempt to oil the water a bit.

Meaning of the phrase "oiling the water"

In earlier times, the pouring of modest quantities of oil into the sea was done deliberately in order to forestall rough seas. This phrase alludes to the calming effect of that oil has on wave action as it spreads over the surface of the sea. Very small quantities of oil can cover a surprisingly large area as it spreads into a layer just a few molecules in thickness. The surface tension of the oil layer has an effect similar to that of a thin skin and is highly effective at calming ‘troubled’ water. - https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/288150.html

Now I have to address - in the most polite and friendly way - please @grazzolini

I acknowledge - the AUR repo is not created with the intention of providing downstream scripts to child distributions.

I have been with Manjaro since 2016 and before that - I used Arch. Manjaro must have done something right with the approach to the upstream Arch since the userbase has grown so much as your statistic on AUR clearly shows.

I agree that something has slipped in the search function of Pamac and I am quite sure this has not been intentional and with my knowledge of the team it will be addressed.

But to shame a distribution because they have a large userbase and call their use of a well known public service - the AUR - offending is probably not the way to address the issue (but it may as well be me as non-native english speaker which is misinterpreting the word).

7 Likes

With respect, I haven’t seen any user behaving like a rude vandal and bully towards the AUR from the moment all of us became aware about what Pamac Manager was doing in the background all the time, without anyone knowing about that, not even its software engineers, who happen to be the Manjaro devs, and Pamac Manager Manjaro’s officially endorsed package manager.

So there’s a contradiction in what you are saying about not casting blames in any direction while you do clearly blame the users for not knowing it, when your very informative and educating post was missing all this time not only from the forum but from the wiki as well -in fact you should not evade the fact that the wiki, while informing users about potential risks and disadvantages about using the AUR, nowhere warns the user that searching too much with Pamac can cause DDOS upstream so it should be used responsibly, despite having a similar incident some months ago.

Instead it contains further “useful” info promoting the use of it like:

If you enable AUR support, it is usually wise to also select, “Check for updates from AUR” so software you install from AUR won’t become outdated.

Checking for “development package” updates will allow updates on *-git packages which are built from the latest source code to also be updated.

Further, you said you agree with jonathon’s post so unfortunately I had to read it, but if you agree with that you agree that it is Manjaro’s fault and not the user’s.

Quoting:

when your tool depends on a third-party service you’d better make damned sure you don’t take that service down. This is not simply polite, it’s in your own best interests.

meaning Manjaro’s official tool developed by Manjaro’s devs should be better engineered, not the user’s “business” and not his/her fault.

That could take the form of talking to the provider of the service, contributing to its development, or just sending them money to provide for additional capacity for horizontal scaling.

again meaning Manjaro should take all the necessary steps above and not the user (other than being asked -by Manjaro again- to financially contribute for the infrastructure).

So in conclusion “see what can be done for the user and everyone involved, before blaming the user”.

2 Likes

I think so, to me “the biggest offender” means the one responsible here (the biggest culprit, the main issue, and so on), which regarding the numbers provided, it is. There is no shaming or whatever, it is simple numbers and fact.