[RESOLVED] ~/.psensor/psensor.cfg missing, how to create?

Installed community/psensor 1.2.0-7.4

When I run psensor -n I get a long list of error messages:
[2020-10-24T07:26:29] [ERR] nvctrl: Failed to retrieve NVIDIA information.
[2020-10-24T07:26:29] [WARN] Failed to load configuration file /home/freddy/.psensor/psensor.cfg: No such file or directory
[2020-10-24T07:26:29] [ERR] Key file does not have group “lmsensor it8665-isa-0290 fan1”
and a long list of lines with Key file does not have group.

Neither man psensor nor man psensor-server show how to create a psensor.cfg file, and man psensor.cfg gives nothing. The Psensor FAQ Psensor Frequently Asked Questions has nothing about creating a psensor.cfg file.

Output from sensors is not usable as psensor.cfg. I ran sensors | tee ~/.psensor/psensor.cfg and then psensor -n . but that gave error messages
[2020-10-24T07:38:46] [ERR] nvctrl: Failed to retrieve NVIDIA information.
[2020-10-24T07:38:46] [WARN] Failed to load configuration file /home/freddy/.psensor/psensor.cfg: Key file contains line “it8665-isa-0290” which is not a key-value pair, group, or comment
[2020-10-24T07:38:46] [ERR] Key file does not have group “lmsensor it8665-isa-0290 fan1”
and a long list of lines with Key file does not have group.

I have posted this cry for help in https://groups.google.com/g/psensor-users/ and created an issue on Issues · Jean-Philippe Orsini / psensor · GitLab to no avail.

I run Manjaro Linux KDE Plasma on a desktop PC with AMD Rysen and Radeon RX 590, but this is hardly relevant for this topic.
Linux statPC 5.8.18-1-MANJARO #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Nov 1 14:10:04 UTC 2020 x86_64 GNU/Linux

How can I create a psensor.cfg file?

Would you please post your psensor.cfg file for my inspiration to create my own?

And lm-sensors is installed?
Did you also did an sensors-detect in a terminal?

the config is generated when you used Psensor > Preferences > btw,

So remove ~/.psensor/psensor.cfg

Open psensor and first set the psensor preferences. Next set the preferences per sensor ans specific the Alarm High and Low threshold.

this will generate the cfg file.
when fully done the ’ error’ should be gone.
But it is not a ‘real’ error so you may ignore it if you want to.

1 Like

Yes, lm-sensors 3.6.0 is installed, sensors-detect is a part of the lm-sensors package.
Yes, I have run sensors-detect as root both in konsole and in a text-mode terminal with the same results.

When I run Psensor it does not open the GUI, it just creates a log file ~/.psensor/log

AHA! WHOOPS!

I failed to notice two new icons in the system tray - clicking one opens the Psensor GUI, clicking the other shows a Psensor menu with the current sensor values and some choices.

So, my trouble with Psensor is actually that it does not behave as I expected and open a GUI, it just puts icons in the system tray and does not even show a message box or any notifications.

I have now configured the sensors and graph in the Psensor GUI, and exit created ~/.psensor/psensor.cfg as it said.