Request: Enable sysrq by default

What make/model SSD does your LG Gram have? Newer SSD's have higher TBW warranties where using swap is not as bad as 1st gen models.

But you can try key combinations that other laptops use. This is just from a quick google search.

Sorry, for digging out this old topic.

I've just had an issue with KDE: While browsing the web, KDE was getting less and less responsive. In a matter of seconds I couldn't even move the mouse cursor. I tried ALT+F4 to close Chromium, I thought it might be the root of the problem. I couldn't even close Chromium, because the system was so slow. I knew it wasn't completely crashed, because I could press the Numlock key and see the LED going on and off (although it took some seconds to respond).
Because nothing else worked, I did a hard reset. After that, my system wasn't able to boot up again.

I had to use the Manjaro Live system on a USB device and repair my system by hand, which took some time. Fotunately it works again.

Now to my question: Why on earth isn't the Magic SysRq key enabled on a default installation of Manjaro?

Is there any good reason to disable it on a desktop system? If it was enabled, this had spared me the hassle to "repair" my whole system and I wouldn't have wasted an hour of my life.

Please, dear developers, enable the Sys Rq key by default on Manjaro!

Sorry, but if you already know about sysrq, you should be able to enable it on your own, without having to rely on the devs to do it for you.

I didn't know I would need it. And I didn't know I need to enable it. It just seems to be reasonable to enable it by default on a desktop system.
And I'm very sorry that I actually make a suggetion to improve Manjaro, so that other users don't lose one hour of their life. I'm really sorry, I won't do that again! :roll_eyes:

There's nothing wrong with making a request. I'm still in favor of enabling this by default.

I think the main block for doing that is that we don't know why Arch and Ubuntu apparently have this disabled by default - it could very well be that it's disabled by default simply because it makes some sense for servers.

Until there's some clarity on that issue, the "safe" option is leaving it configured the way it is (last someone checked was only "sync" enabled by default), and leaving it up to end users to enable it or not on their machines.

RSEIUB or REISUB for recovering a froze machine is a sound enough argument for having an OS targeted at private users enable Sys Rq.

Default level for the current kernels seems to be 16 so I've set it to 1 in a created file at /etc/sysctl.d/99-sysctl.conf

1 Like

Forum kindly sponsored by