Replacing Windows 10 with Manjaro kde without affecting the storage?

I have 128GB SSD and 1TB HDD , windows 10 is installed on the SSD and all other files are on hdd(around 78GB is used).

Is there a way to replace windows 10 with manjaro, not dual-booting but actually replacing and doing so that I have the HDD storage intact? I understand that there is a pointer to the HDD storage tree which goes away with windows but, I am just curious that how can I make manjaro read from the same pointer.
So that, there’s no need to store files to the cloud and redownload it.

You can chose to install Manjaro to the SSD by formatting the disk.

Your harddisk storage will not be touched in the process.

The process requires you to have copied any and all files located on the Windows disk - which you wish to keep. If you have not done so yet - copy those files to the HDD.

1 Like

So how I understood is, that if i format my ssd and install manjaro on it…the hdd stays unaffected?

Yes - that is correct.

You can choose to manual partition your SSD - if you do so - you can create a mountpoint for your HDD and have it mounted without formatting it.

If you just go with the default installation/partitioning on the SSD you have to create a mountpoint after reboot.

For creating a mountpoint for your HDD after installation you can read this post.

1 Like

Unfortunately, leaving your second HD untouched is not a very good solution. I will assume your storage drive is formatted as NTFS. When you remove Windows the NTFS drive will no longer be able to be maintained properly.

While Linux can read/write NTFS drives there is no capability to Defrag NTFS drives in Linux. Over time this will lead to performance degradation on that drive. In addition Linux has a very rudimentary method of fixing errors on NTFS drives. NTFS drives may require the Windows scandisk tool to correct drive errors properly.

For these reasons NTFS is a very poor choice for a system that is no longer running Windows. You should really copy your data to another drive then format your second drive to a Linux compatible file system such as ext4 if you intend to solely run Linux on that machine.

NTFS is not a good choice for systems only running Linux.

That is correct.

I would recommended shrinking the 1TB drive using Windows Disk Manager and when the conversion of the SSD is done - create Linux partition in the empty space - move the files, delete the NTFS partition and extend the Linux partition with the now empty space.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by