Replace pacman-mirrors?

I ran sudo pacman -Syu to check if anything needed updating and i got this:

sudo pacman -Syu                                                                               ✔ 
[sudo] password for veprovina: 
:: Synchronising package databases...
 core                                  159,7 KiB  1125 KiB/s 00:00 [####################################] 100%
 extra                                1834,7 KiB  20,4 MiB/s 00:00 [####################################] 100%
 community                               7,5 MiB  36,0 MiB/s 00:00 [####################################] 100%
 multilib is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade...
:: Replace pacman-mirrors with core/manjaro-mirrors? [Y/n] ^C
Interrupt signal received

And i didn’t know what to do so i interrupted it…
What does this mean and should i do it?
New to Manjaro, never got a prompt like that on any Ubuntu based system which is what i was using before.

2 Likes

yes, you should

What does it mean?
one package, providing a certain function, got renamed

If you say no, you don’t get the functionality of the previous one.

What does it do?

I don’t know - but it’s easy to find out.

It is not in the core part of the repo without reason.

… say “no” and see what happens

even better:
look at what it does - then say yes or no

sudo pacman -Syuw

to only download the proposed updates
without installing anything yet
and then inspect /var/cache/pacman/pkg/...this_package
to see what it does …
so that you no longer need to worry, but KNOW instead

that is what I’m doing right now - could take a few hours on my connection to download that 600+ MB update …

ps:
result, for me

the package is just a re-name

it does not change anything

I don’t have the old one in cache - can’t look at it.

But:
no config changes with this one.

Just a re-name.

say yes and be done with it … or it’ll haunt you in the future
it is a package in the core repo …

3 Likes

Run pacman again and if prompted say Yes, it’s just that some mirrors have changed and your mirrorlist needs updated.

Instead of Ubuntu only having one store, Manjaro has a number of them that are for all intents a neighborhood store, that allows for faster downloading.

It actually a little more complicated than that, but for all intents and purposes for the average user that’s really all you need to understand. But if you’re really interested in knowing more, there are articles available.

3 Likes

pacman-mirrors was just changed to manjaro-mirrors. You can find the relavent information on the [Stable Update] 2022-12-20 wiki post.

4 Likes

There was an issue reported on reddit about a similar named package in the AUR. We are now looking into it why AUR packages were preferred over our actual packages in our repositories. For now the package got renamed to manjaro-mirrors to fast-track that issue.

6 Likes

FYI:

Checking inter-conflicts…
Warning: removing ‘pacman-mirrors’ from target list because it conflicts with ‘manjaro-mirrors’
Error: Failed to prepare transaction:
could not satisfy dependencies:

• removing pacman-mirrors breaks dependency ‘pacman-mirrorlist’ required by manjaro-architect
1 Like

right. That provides got wrongly removed during the rename. Have to check.

3 Likes

This rename is going to cause huge problems among the newbies who stumble upon the dozens of forum posts in which they are told to run pacman-mirrors. For all we know, they might install the faux pacman-mirrors (for WSL) from the AUR and screw up their systems that way. :fearful:

2 Likes

Is either that or the mess would have happened NOW, because for instance my testing install was about to install pacman-mirrors from AUR

The rename makes sense tho, till the package from AUR is dealt with.

5 Likes

Just a remark, it reverts your branch to stable. If you are on unstable like me, you need to switch again the branch.

7 Likes

Actually, considering the package is specific to Manjaro to begin with, and the results apply as far as i know to all package managers, i think naming it manjaro-mirrors is more relevant.
Not that the AUR’s pacman-mirror would be any more relevant to keep the name…
:person_shrugging:

2 Likes

Only the package got renamed. The binary wasn’t touched and still is named pacman-mirrors.

2 Likes

That’s what I was saying. :stuck_out_tongue: @alven is the one who proposes renaming the binaries. :wink:

But the thing is that newbies might be looking on their systems for the package pacman-mirrors, and upon not finding it, may decide to install the (incorrect) AUR package on their systems. That’s what I was commenting about.

5 Likes

The correct solution is to rename the newly added AUR package, which is done and the maintainer is just waiting for it to be merged, and keep the original package name because many scripts are created based on that binary name and this change will cause many problems that Manjaro never needed.

1 Like
6 Likes

I see. Yes, as other users have posted, i seem to get what the issue is about, at least partially. I’ll read up on it. But good to know i can update as normally. Thank you! :slight_smile:

Thank you for explaining! I’ll check the link and all the links others have posted as well, can’t hurt to know more. :slight_smile:

Just checked in Pamac GUI again, it does indeed say pacman-mirrors is from AUR! I didn’t notice it yesterday, i see now why i was asked to update mirrors.
Should i set that AUR one to ignore or just update that as well?
Or will the -Syu command update all of them?

No no … I suggest to wait a bit. Philip and i just tested a new approach to avoid that AUR debacle issue.

2 Likes

Oh ok, i’ll just wit a bit then and won’t do the update. Not much needed updating anayway. I can just run the -Syu when this is resolved.

Thank you!