Replace grub-update with core/update-grub? [Y/n]

I’m not sure it matters, apart from convention, being that it’s on a vfat filesystem. Likewise, I’ve seen BOOT, Boot, and boot used interchangeably.

Oh right, if its on *fat* of course case is not a thing. Go wild you aminals.

(or … be kinda careful because your bootloader is important :smiley: )

2 Likes

Looks like it just finished, there seems to be a prompt afterwards.

How is it stuck?

If you can’t enter commands, try pressing Ctrl + Q

Thanks dmt, you are correct in what you observe by looking at the prompt, but like you suggested it froze and didn’t go on working (right after the GUI showed a weird display, froze instantly and I couldn’t move from desktop to desktop). I left it overnight (even though the task monitor was not showing any activity) and now the prompt is working again.

Thanks also to cscs, I did research intensely last night, and found mostly reddit discussions and rare posts in other forums (different distributions experiencing something similar).

I followed the announcement suggestion, opened another konsole and reinstalled GRUB, succesfully. I’m confident that if I restart it will do so correctly.

Although I do would like to know, if there is any tool/command/method by which a more inexperienced user could possibly run a check on the integrity of the system in general and GRUB and dependencies, to be confident that restarting the machine will not produce an unpleasant scenario - perhaps a command that simulates a restart and analyses the information required - and fix/take measures before doing so (I understand that for experienced users, this is not necessary, because you understand warnings/prompt returns and how the system works). I’m talking about like a “green light system”, like in a car, you insert the key, lights come on, needles move, door locks, gauges read, then you are relatively confident you can start it).

Perhaps what I’m saying is nonsense, in any case thank you all for the help! You make noob users like me carry on using Manjaro (learning a lot slower because we don’t know much or have the time too).

You have 6.1 LTS so you are save for now.

But please boot into 6.1 and then install 6.6 and remove 6.5.
:footprints:

You can also use maxi -eg

to collect information about the boot process. This works,

• when you are in your running system (with CTRL+ALT+F2).
  • And also in a live environment (but it needs java to be available)

So it is safe to choose ‘no’, and not replace grub-update and go on with the rest of the updates ?

go ahead and try.
(it will probably fail)
…whats the big deal?

As already shown above umpteen times … this change is largely just the naming convention and listed dependencies. Its a ‘cosmetic packaging’ change more than anything else. Why you would want to avoid that … I can not even guess.

(also note that with this change … it means the old package name is deprecated. While this package is pretty much just an alias for grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg "$@" and unlikely to change much, in the scenario there would be an update … the old package will not get one.)

1 Like

Yes, I’m testing that now and so far so good …

So it is not systemcritical to answer ‘yes’ then ?

1 Like

This package is not system-critical no matter how you slice it.
It is not required, it doesnt do anything very special, and the system could not care less if it exists or not.
But … in the scenario that you do have something relying upon it, either by your use, or by actual package dependencies … it would make sense to follow the current standards. Anything else would be unsupported.
I still cannot comprehend why you want to forcibly hang on to the old package (name) … and I would normally expect a refused replacement prompt to disallow the update to continue.

Yes, I answerd ‘no’ and the rest off the update went fine.

Why is it updated then, if it is not required ?

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

To feel safe just make sure you always have a live USB or another computer to be able to make a live USB.
With a live USB you can always boot, run
manjaro-chroot -a
and
grub-install
and
update-grub
if something unexpected happens during an update and you can’t boot your PC.

3 Likes