Remove login while machine is running

I really don’t need the security within my home.

Maybe you want to explain more/better?
You want to remove login entirely? So auto-login?
OR you want to remove password prompting in general after logging in?
OR?..

If you use Plasma:

1 Like

This seems the most obvious. Is there an auto-login guide or similar to direct him to?

My guess is the lock screen password, op uses cinnamon, there probably is some setting for that in the settings under lock screen? This used to be an option in mint 10 years ago, it might still be there but I’m not that keen to check.

Well, auto-login bypasses having to enter a password to login. I imagine that’s what the OP is asking for, based on the very little information given. As a home user, any security implications are probably something he can live with.

However, I don’t know it that will extend to the lock screen, or whether they need to address that separately. I’ve always preferred a password, regardless of any perceived inconvenience.

1 Like

It is so exciting to speculate on so little information, we can go anywhere with this :crazy_face:
We could speculate on what kind of home OP has, and what kind of security measures are taken.

I’m leaning towards lockscreen since the title reads: ’ Remove login while machine is running’ (my emphasis) and that in my mind seems to indicate that the machine is on for at least a while.

I see how you could read it that way; I considered it too.

There are two kinds of people in the world:

1. Those who can extrapolate from incomplete information.

:see_no_evil: :hear_no_evil: :speak_no_evil:

1 Like

I apologize if this reply were to come across as offensive, but if you really have to ask a question like that, then I’m afraid I am going to have to ask you this one… :point_down:

Going upon what the other interlocutors on this thread have said… :point_down:

• The login screen and the screen locker are not the same thing.

• You can disable the screen locker, and/or disable that it would kick in after resuming from suspend.

• Depending on your desktop environment, you may be able to set up the screen locker so that it doesn’t require a password.

• You can set up auto-login for your desktop environment, but you cannot disable the need for a password — and you shouldn’t, because it’s going to break your system. Auto-login allows you to log into your desktop environment without needing to type a password, but the password must be set nevertheless, and it will be needed for logging into a tty, as well as for performing administrative tasks.

Please allow us to strut and fret our hour upon the stage. :hourglass:

1 Like

Strutting and fretting…I like that! Well save your strengths due to strutting, and fret no more! I have adjusted my thinking due to new circumstances in our previously secure home. I will keep the minor annoyance of the login because I walked away from the computer for a short or extended time.
Yes, I wanted to remove password prompting in general after logging in.

2 Likes

Shakespeare. Still relevant, after all these years.

For future reference, there is usually a setting to control that; however, it tends to vary from one Display Environment to another. If you tell us which you are using I’m sure someone can point you in the right direction. Cheers.