Remove bluetooth from system tray manjaro xfce

I’m running Manjaro XFCE on Raspberry pi 4. How can I remove the bluetooth icon from the system tray. Also I don’t want bluetooth at all, hence I have no problem with disabling it.

I believe the XFCE edition uses blueman as the bluetooth applet. So you can uninstall that to get rid of the icon.

And you can disable the bluetooth.service to don’t start bluetooth at boot.

Thanks for that.

gotta watch your cpu, if i remember right there’s a script for bluetooth that go’s nuts.

Same situation on XFCE desktop and this is what I did to remove bluetooth completely and eliminate the tray icon.

# disable bluetooth service

systemctl disable bluetooth.service
systemctl stop bluetooth.service

# suppress driver (lsmod)

echo -e 'blacklist bluetooth' >> /etc/modprobe.d/90-no-bluetooth.conf
echo -e 'blacklist btusb\n' >> /etc/modprobe.d/90-no-bluetooth.conf

# do not start blueman tray app. append Hidden=true

nano /etc/xdg/autostart/blueman.desktop  

# disable bluetooth in pulseaudio comment lines (#).

nano /etc/pulse/default.pa

.ifexists module-bluetooth-policy.so
#load-module module-bluetooth-policy
.endif

.ifexists module-bluetooth-discover.so
#load-module module-bluetooth-discover
.endif

# remove packages with no dependencies

pacman --remove --nosave blueman

I uninstalled 2 packages to remove Bluetooth

pamac remove blueman pulseaudio-bluetooth

If pulseaudio-bluetooth is uninstalled PulseAudio would not be able to detect the existence of module-bluetooth-policy.so and module-bluetooth-discover.so and the 2 Blueetooth modules will not be loaded.
So there is no need to edit PulseAudio configuration /etc/pulse/default.pa

1 Like

manjaro-pulse has a dependency for pulseaudio-bluetooth.

The package has no files and is described as a (Meta-PKG). What does that mean in the Manjaro Environment and how is it intended to be used?

If you really dont want bluetooth you should probably blacklist the module(s), not just software that lets you interface with it :wink:

lsmod | grep -iE 'bt|blu'

/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-mine.conf <<

blacklist btusb
blacklist bluetooth
# etc etc

meta packages are just that - they install groups of other packages.
You can remove it and still have all the packages installed … also see my above post, which is applicable whether you keep the packages or not.

The primary use-case for manjaro-pulse is to remove and replace pipewire packages
Not detecting audio hardware

There is also a metapackage manjaro-pipewire
What is the correct way to install package “manjaro-pipewire”?

@cscs - The suggested lsmod command returns a null response on my system, so I have nothing to blacklist

Just in case its another zsh thing … maybe inspect lsmod manually as well.

Is it correct to say that the user should not remove the META package (manjaro-pulse), if you want to protect your system from the installation of pipeware and its’ packages.

So you need to do the steps listed above.

Eh … not really.
The Meta is more just a list of depends. Nothing is going to force pipewire on you … even if it somehow becomes a suggested replace for something you currently have you can deny and decide how to proceed.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.