Can't update due to conflicting packages with Compiz

Hi guys, I’ve always been able to update my system, and I’ve had Compiz with Emerald Window Manager running for a while. For some reason this time there seems to be a problem with a package or two, could be libjpeg… and others…

This is the update error:

could not satisfy dependencies:

• removing compiz-fusion-plugins-main breaks dependency ‘compiz-fusion-plugins-main’ required by compiz-fusion-plugins-extra,
  • if possible, remove compiz-fusion-plugins-extra and retry

Now, I don’t want to remove Compiz… I like it.

How can I keep my system (at least most of it) updated?

I’m a bit of a newby!

Thanks.

Output of:

sudo pacman -Syu

?

Don’t cut/paste what you think is relevant. Post entire transaction.

Just to clarify

• compiz is the window manager
  • emerald is the window decorator

Currently I am experimenting with running compiz as window manager instead of openbox - and I like it so far.

There is a package in the repo compiz-easy-patch maintained by @lectrode (build by me when needed) recently rebuilt a few days ago and pushed to unstable.

Besides the above mentioned package I build from AUR

• emerald
  • emerald-themes

This works perfect for me on unstable branch.

Hi thanks for replying so soon. I am a newby, I should have posted this probably.

sudo pacman -Syu

:: Synchronizing package databases…
core is up to date
extra is up to date
community is up to date
multilib is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade…
resolving dependencies…
looking for conflicting packages…
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: installing libjpeg-turbo (2.0.6-1) breaks dependency ‘libjpeg>=7’ required by compiz-fusion-plugins-main

It looks like this is one of the problems as mentioned before. Libjpeg to a newer version.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

"Just to clarify

compiz is the window manager
emerald is the window decorator"

Correct, I shouldn’t have typed my post in 30 seconds = )

Thanks for replying, I read your reply, but I’m a bit of a noob, what do you suggest I install? compiz-easy-patch What exactly will this package do? I like very much the way I’ve tweaked Compiz, will this mess up the settings?

Thanks very much!

It will install the 0.9.x version of compiz

I don’t think so - but you are the only one to live and tell the story :grin:

Generally speaking - updating a package usullay don’t mess with the user’s settings.

Translated it means - as the package probably is an AUR package - you will need to remove it and rebuild it with the new dependencies for the parent application to function as expected. Please note that such removal/rebuild does not touch user settings.

2 Likes