reinstall virtualbox

You need to uninstall virtualbox via whatever method you installed it from and then re-install it through the package manager. That is why the modules have mis-matched versions. Yo may have installed a version from AUR instead of the one of the repos. May sure you select the one from the repos.

1 Like

pacman -R virtualbox-ose
error: target not found: virtualbox-ose
pacman -R virtualbox
error: target not found: virtualbox
VirtualBox.run uninstall
bash: VirtualBox.run: command not found
./VirtualBox.run uninstall
./VirtualBox.run: No such file or directory
cd /opt/VirtualBox/

VirtualBox.run uninstall
bash: VirtualBox.run: command not found
 pacman -R virtualbox
 VirtualBox uninstall

Hmmm. Any other idea?

It isn't in pacman....so I guess it wasn't installed from AUR. Did you maybe install directly from the virtualbox site? If so, you need to find the downloaded files and uninstall it from there.

Where is it installed to? What does which virtualbox return?

Command in Edit Launcher is "VirtualBox %U"

i found this folder, but i think i nearly emptied it by using 'Add/Remove Software':

# pwd
/usr/lib/virtualbox
# ls
ExtensionPacks

i started searching by using CatFishFileSearch
using CatFishFileSearch as admin:

type the command:

which virtualbox
# which virtualbox
/usr/bin/virtualbox
# cd /usr/bin/virtualbox
bash: cd: /usr/bin/virtualbox: Not a directory

It looks like you may have manually installed virtualbox into your system which causes a bit of a mess.

If you don't still have the install files, I am not sure how easy it is to remove.

Before you do anything else I would backup your system.

Also, just be sure can you return the results on this command:

pacman -Qo /usr/bin/virtualbox
# pacman -Qo /usr/bin/virtualbox
error: No package owns /usr/bin/virtualbox

Yes, so here is what I would next. I would warn you that the below is not without risk so don't skip step 1(or step 2)

1. Backup your system
  2. Update your system
sudo pacman -Syyu
  1. Forcibly re-install virtualbox
sudo pacman -S virtualbox --overwrite "*"
  1. Reboot

i did 1,2,3,4

i got same error, but also the option too update VB:

[-pc Downloads]# cd /home//Downloads
[-pc Downloads]# VirtualBox-6.1.2-135662-Linux_amd64.run
bash: VirtualBox-6.1.2-135662-Linux_amd64.run: command not found
[-pc Downloads]# ls VirtualBox-6.1.2-135662-Linux_amd64.run 
VirtualBox-6.1.2-135662-Linux_amd64.run
[-pc Downloads]# ./VirtualBox-6.1.2-135662-Linux_amd64.run 
Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing VirtualBox for Linux installation.............
VirtualBox Version 6.1.2 r135662 (2020-01-13T11:18:53Z) installer

You appear to have a version of VirtualBox on your system which was installed
from a different source or using a different type of installer (or a damaged
installation of VirtualBox).  We strongly recommend that you remove it before
installing this version of VirtualBox.

Do you wish to continue anyway? [yes or no]

i did nothing . i dont now. ? How to remove?

i tried the following:

# ./VirtualBox-6.1.2-135662-Linux_amd64.run 

You appear to have a version of VirtualBox on your system which was installed
from a different source or using a different type of installer (or a damaged
installation of VirtualBox).  We strongly recommend that you remove it before
installing this version of VirtualBox.

Do you wish to continue anyway? [yes or no]
y
Removing previous installation of VirtualBox 6.0.14 r133895 from /opt/VirtualBox
Installing VirtualBox to /opt/VirtualBox
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/usr/share/icons/hicolor/20x20/mimetypes/virtualbox-hdd.png': File exists
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/usr/share/icons/hicolor/20x20/mimetypes/virtualbox-ova.png': File exists
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/usr/share/icons/hicolor/20x20/mimetypes/virtualbox-ovf.png': File exists
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/usr/share/icons/hicolor/20x20/mimetypes/virtualbox-vbox-extpack.png': File exists
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/usr/share/icons/hicolor/20x20/mimetypes/virtualbox-vbox.png': File exists
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/usr/share/icons/hicolor/20x20/mimetypes/virtualbox-vdi.png': File exists
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/usr/share/icons/hicolor/20x20/mimetypes/virtualbox-vhd.png': File exists
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/usr/share/icons/hicolor/20x20/mimetypes/virtualbox-vmdk.png': File exists
Python found: python2, installing bindings...
This system is currently not set up to build kernel modules.
Please install the Linux kernel "header" files matching the current kernel
for adding new hardware support to the system.
There were problems setting up VirtualBox.  To re-start the set-up process, run
  /sbin/vboxconfig
as root.  If your system is using EFI Secure Boot you may need to sign the
kernel modules (vboxdrv, vboxnetflt, vboxnetadp, vboxpci) before you can load
them. Please see your Linux system's documentation for more information.
VirtualBox has been installed successfully.
You will find useful information about using VirtualBox in the user manual
  /opt/VirtualBox/UserManual.pdf
and in the user FAQ
  http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/User_FAQ
We hope that you enjoy using VirtualBox.
The installation log file is at /var/log/vbox-install.log.
[-pc Downloads]# virtualbox
WARNING: The vboxdrv kernel module is not loaded. Either there is no module
         available for the current kernel (5.4.6-2-MANJARO) or it failed to
         load. Please recompile the kernel module and install it by
           sudo /sbin/vboxconfig
         You will not be able to start VMs until this problem is fixed.
Qt WARNING: QStandardPaths: wrong ownership on runtime directory /run/user/1000, 1000 instead of 0
Qt WARNING: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 6541, resource id: 9430813, major code: 40 (TranslateCoords), minor code: 0
[seeh-pc Downloads]# sudo /sbin/vboxconfig
vboxdrv.sh: Stopping VirtualBox services.
vboxdrv.sh: Starting VirtualBox services.
vboxdrv.sh: Building VirtualBox kernel modules.

/sbin/vboxconfig
[-pc Downloads]# su
[-pc Downloads]# run
bash: run: command not found
[-pc Downloads]# run /sbin/vboxconfig
bash: run: command not found
[-pc Downloads]# /sbin/vboxconfig
vboxdrv.sh: Stopping VirtualBox services.
vboxdrv.sh: Starting VirtualBox services.
vboxdrv.sh: Building VirtualBox kernel modules.

/sbin/vboxconfig

i completly removes virtualbox everywhere by using:

pacman -R virtualbox

./VirtualBox-6.1.2-135662-Linux_amd64.run uninstall /opt/VirtualBox

and

./VirtualBox-6.1.2-135662-Linux_amd64.run uninstall

Screenshot of result of pacman -R virtualbox

then i installed it from website:

./VirtualBox-6.1.2-135662-Linux_amd64.run

i tells me there
"VirtualBox has been installed successfully."

When is start i get a warning from commandLine:

available for the current kernel (5.4.6-2-MANJARO) or it failed to
         load. Please recompile the kernel module and install it by

sudo /sbin/vboxconfig

But it is starting. Then i get the same errow as reported at the beginning:

i did as reported here: Installing Virtualbox kernel modules
pacman -S linux44-virtualbox-host-modules

Is it not working with Manjaro any more?
Do i need install another Linux?
Which one? Ubuntu?
If yes, how could i make a change without loosing data. Simply install Ubuntu? What about user rights of files? So many questions.
I really need to work with VirtualBox. I need a decision soon. I i cant not use VitualBox i cant work anything.

So......this is the problem. You need to uninstall it again and not install it from the website. This is a manual install and in addition to causing version mismatches with the kernel modules it can cause havoc with the package manager depending on where you install it to.

Instead of doing this, install it from the repos. After you uninstall the current version you install it from the repos with sudo pacman -Syu virtualbox

# ./Downloads/VirtualBox-6.1.2-135662-Linux_amd64.run uninstall
A copy of VirtualBox is currently running.  Please close it and try again.
Please note that it can take up to ten seconds for VirtualBox to finish running.

# pacman -Syu virtualbox
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
 multilib is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade...
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (1) virtualbox-6.1.0-1

Total Installed Size:  165.21 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y
(1/1) checking keys in keyring                                     [#####################################] 100%
(1/1) checking package integrity                                   [#####################################] 100%
(1/1) loading package files                                        [#####################################] 100%
(1/1) checking for file conflicts                                  [#####################################] 100%
**error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)**
virtualbox: /usr/bin/VBoxBalloonCtrl exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/bin/VBoxHeadless exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/bin/VBoxManage exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/bin/VBoxSDL exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/bin/VirtualBox exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/bin/rcvboxdrv exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/bin/rdesktop-vrdp exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/bin/vboxheadless exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/bin/vboxmanage exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/bin/vboxsdl exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/bin/vboxwebsrv exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/bin/virtualbox exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/share/applications/virtualbox.desktop exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/128x128/mimetypes/virtualbox-hdd.png exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/128x128/mimetypes/virtualbox-ova.png exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/128x128/mimetypes/virtualbox-ovf.png exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/128x128/mimetypes/virtualbox-vbox-extpack.png exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/128x128/mimetypes/virtualbox-vbox.png exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/128x128/mimetypes/virtualbox-vdi.png exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/128x128/mimetypes/virtualbox-vhd.png exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/128x128/mimetypes/virtualbox-vmdk.png exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/mimetypes/virtualbox-hdd.png exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/mimetypes/virtualbox-ova.png exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/mimetypes/virtualbox-ovf.png exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/mimetypes/virtualbox-vbox-extpack.png exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/mimetypes/virtualbox-vbox.png exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/mimetypes/virtualbox-vdi.png exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/mimetypes/virtualbox-vhd.png exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/mimetypes/virtualbox-vmdk.png exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/24x24/mimetypes/virtualbox-hdd.png exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/24x24/mimetypes/virtualbox-ova.png exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/24x24/mimetypes/virtualbox-ovf.png exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/24x24/mimetypes/virtualbox-vbox-extpack.png exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/24x24/mimetypes/virtualbox-vbox.png exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/24x24/mimetypes/virtualbox-vdi.png exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/24x24/mimetypes/virtualbox-vhd.png exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/24x24/mimetypes/virtualbox-vmdk.png exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/256x256/mimetypes/virtualbox-hdd.png exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/256x256/mimetypes/virtualbox-ova.png exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/256x256/mimetypes/virtualbox-ovf.png exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/256x256/mimetypes/virtualbox-vbox-extpack.png exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/256x256/mimetypes/virtualbox-vbox.png exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/256x256/mimetypes/virtualbox-vdi.png exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/256x256/mimetypes/virtualbox-vhd.png exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/256x256/mimetypes/virtualbox-vmdk.png exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/32x32/mimetypes/virtualbox-hdd.png exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/32x32/mimetypes/virtualbox-ova.png exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/32x32/mimetypes/virtualbox-ovf.png exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/32x32/mimetypes/virtualbox-vbox-extpack.png exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/32x32/mimetypes/virtualbox-vbox.png exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/32x32/mimetypes/virtualbox-vdi.png exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/32x32/mimetypes/virtualbox-vhd.png exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/32x32/mimetypes/virtualbox-vmdk.png exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/mimetypes/virtualbox-hdd.png exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/mimetypes/virtualbox-ova.png exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/mimetypes/virtualbox-ovf.png exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/mimetypes/virtualbox-vbox-extpack.png exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/mimetypes/virtualbox-vbox.png exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/mimetypes/virtualbox-vdi.png exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/mimetypes/virtualbox-vhd.png exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/mimetypes/virtualbox-vmdk.png exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/64x64/mimetypes/virtualbox-hdd.png exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/64x64/mimetypes/virtualbox-ova.png exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/64x64/mimetypes/virtualbox-ovf.png exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/64x64/mimetypes/virtualbox-vbox-extpack.png exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/64x64/mimetypes/virtualbox-vbox.png exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/64x64/mimetypes/virtualbox-vdi.png exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/64x64/mimetypes/virtualbox-vhd.png exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/64x64/mimetypes/virtualbox-vmdk.png exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/72x72/mimetypes/virtualbox-hdd.png exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/72x72/mimetypes/virtualbox-ova.png exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/72x72/mimetypes/virtualbox-ovf.png exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/72x72/mimetypes/virtualbox-vbox-extpack.png exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/72x72/mimetypes/virtualbox-vbox.png exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/72x72/mimetypes/virtualbox-vdi.png exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/72x72/mimetypes/virtualbox-vhd.png exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/72x72/mimetypes/virtualbox-vmdk.png exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/96x96/mimetypes/virtualbox-hdd.png exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/96x96/mimetypes/virtualbox-ova.png exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/96x96/mimetypes/virtualbox-ovf.png exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/96x96/mimetypes/virtualbox-vbox-extpack.png exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/96x96/mimetypes/virtualbox-vbox.png exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/96x96/mimetypes/virtualbox-vdi.png exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/96x96/mimetypes/virtualbox-vhd.png exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/96x96/mimetypes/virtualbox-vmdk.png exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/share/mime/packages/virtualbox.xml exists in filesystem
virtualbox: /usr/share/pixmaps/VBox.png exists in filesystem
**Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.**

It looks like it is failing to uninstall because it is running.

# ./Downloads/VirtualBox-6.1.2-135662-Linux_amd64.run uninstall
VirtualBox 6.1.2 r135662 has been removed successfully.
# pacman -R virtualbox
[seeh-pc seeh]# pacman -Syu virtualbox
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
 multilib is up to date

Packages (1) virtualbox-6.1.0-1

Total Installed Size:  165.21 MiB

(1/1) checking keys in keyring                                     [#####################################] 100%
(1/1) checking package integrity                                   [#####################################] 100%
(1/1) loading package files                                        [#####################################] 100%
(1/1) checking for file conflicts                                  [#####################################] 100%
(1/1) checking available disk space                                [#####################################] 100%
:: Processing package changes...
(1/1) installing virtualbox                                        [#####################################] 100%
Optional dependencies for virtualbox
    vde2: Virtual Distributed Ethernet support [installed]
    virtualbox-guest-iso: Guest Additions CD image
    virtualbox-ext-vnc: VNC server support
    virtualbox-sdk: Developer kit
:: Running post-transaction hooks...
(1/7) Creating system user accounts...
(2/7) Reloading system manager configuration...
(3/7) Reloading device manager configuration...
(4/7) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
(5/7) Updating icon theme caches...
(6/7) Updating the desktop file MIME type cache...
(7/7) Updating the MIME type database...
[seeh-pc seeh]# VirtualBox
         available for the current kernel (5.4.12-1-MANJARO) or it failed to
         load. **Please recompile the kernel module and install it by**

**sudo /sbin/vboxconfig**

You will not be able to start VMs until this problem is fixed.
Qt WARNING: QStandardPaths: wrong ownership on runtime directory /run/user/1000, 1000 instead of 0

Is linux54-virtualbox-host-modules installed? If not install, reboot and try again.

2 Likes
# pacman -Syu virtualbox linux54-virtualbox-host-modules
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
 multilib is up to date
warning: virtualbox-6.1.0-1 is up to date -- reinstalling

Packages (2) linux54-virtualbox-host-modules-6.1.0-12  virtualbox-6.1.0-1

Total Download Size:     0.18 MiB
Total Installed Size:  165.36 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:        0.15 MiB

:: Retrieving packages...
 linux54-virtualb...   181.1 KiB  2.30 MiB/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
(2/2) checking keys in keyring                     [######################] 100%
(2/2) checking package integrity                   [######################] 100%
(2/2) loading package files                        [######################] 100%
(2/2) checking for file conflicts                  [######################] 100%
(2/2) checking available disk space                [######################] 100%
:: Processing package changes...
(1/2) installing linux54-virtualbox-host-modules   [######################] 100%
===> You must load vboxdrv module before starting VirtualBox:
===> # modprobe vboxdrv
(2/2) reinstalling virtualbox                      [######################] 100%
:: Running post-transaction hooks...
(1/8) Creating system user accounts...
(2/8) Reloading system manager configuration...
(3/8) Reloading device manager configuration...
(4/8) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
(5/8) Updating module dependencies...
(6/8) Updating icon theme caches...
(7/8) Updating the desktop file MIME type cache...
(8/8) Updating the MIME type database...

then i shut down the system,
start it again and :smiley: its working !!!!!

seems really importand sometimes to do a reload. may i sometimes hav forget

2 Likes

You should have read the all the output of your package installations. It clearly mentions the kernel module:

Reboot also loads the kernel module so there's that.

2 Likes

Kudos also to @dalto for showing the direction! (I only had to read the terminal output.)

1 Like

Forum kindly sponsored by