Reinstall manjaro but keeping all programs and data

Hey guys,
So I recently got a m.2 and now i want to transfer my OS and data to it.
Since I want a fresh install I won’t use a backup.

My question: Is it somehow possible to create a list of all installed programs which i then can import into pacman or octopi? Ofc I will copy my home folder etc…, but I dont want to reinstall every program manually. Can I for example copy my usr folder or will it mess with my fresh installation?

I’m looking forward to your answers.
best regards,
bass

Please do search before asking …

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman/Tips_and_tricks

1 Like

This question pops up every once in a while. Maybe we should do an application for this?

3 Likes

Thank you for your fast responses. Yeah I knew that this existed but I wanted to know if you came up with other ideas and methods… However I just tried to install all the programs from the list, but it doesn’t really work. I probably messed up something. When i use the command
sudo pacman -S --needed - < pkglist.txt
it goes through the list in a second, tells me that everything is up to date and skips.
Even if I try:
sudo pacman -S - < pkglist.txt
the program goes through the list in a second, tells me that everything is up to date and that everything is reinstalled. Some programs like e.g. “kdenlive” aren’t even listed even though it’s in the pgklist.
Do you have any ideas how to fix this?

regards,
basscol

I just realised that kdenlive does appear in the program output list after I installed it manually.

I think it’s just better to manually take note of what you install, so in the next installation there aren’t any leftover packages.

@Chrysostomus I think this is very good proposal !